The Advanced Protective Technologies for Engineering Structures (APTES) group is recognised as one of the leading centre in infrastructure modelling and physical infrastructure protection in Australia and the Asia Pacific region. Our group consists of internationally recognised experts in risk assessment, modelling and vulnerability analysis of buildings and infrastructure against natural and man-made hazards. Our goal is to provide the best protective engineering services for high security and high profile projects. The group is led by Prof Tuan Ngo and Prof Priyan Mendis. We work closely with industry and government organisations to carry out consulting work and conduct research in these areas.
Our group has been involved in many key projects as the main consultant to provide security assessment, risk modelling and protection solutions. These projects include risk assessment and strengthening of the landmark structures, government buildings, embassies and critical industrial facilities in Australia and overseas.
We provide infrastructure/structural modeling and vulnerability assessment services from preparation of feasibility studies, risk assessment, advanced engineering analysis through to detailed design, application development and system implementation. Our experience in security and infrastructure modeling covers a broad spectrum of markets and industries in the following categories:
- Commercial and residential
- Government buildings
- Bridges and tunnels
- Airports and terminals
- Industrial and manufacturing
- Energy and power
We work to resolve security problems such as bomb blasts, ballistic, fire, earthquake, wind storm and climate change.
Our capabilities include risk assessment/management, modelling and design to mitigate risks during extreme events, advanced analysis methods, lab testing, and blast/impact tests in the field. Our basic core area of expertise is the understanding of structures of all types, and their response to diverse internal and external forces, including gravity and other static forces, and those of extreme events such as blast, shock, fire, high velocity impact, wind, wave, earthquake and long-term environmental effects such as climate change. This core technology in conjunction with our specialised capabilities and experience in advanced infrastructure simulation allows us to provide fully integrated services state-of-the-art engineering capability in the areas of securit analysis and modelling, risk assessment and mitigation, and advanced engineering analysis services to our clients.
Our extensive expertise includes:
- Infrastructure/structural modelling for extreme events
- Progressive collapse, and post-event damage assessment
- Antiterrorist, force protection, and physical security assessment of buildings, stadiums, airports and infrastructure under blast, shock and impact
- Analysis and design of security barriers for high risk facilities
- 3D GIS technologies for emergency management
- Industrial and Manufacturing
- Development of computer software for quick blast damage assessment and CBRN plume modelling
- Blast resistant building systems, blast resistant facades
- Containment and storage facilities for hazardous materials, and energetic environments
- Explosive safety for critical facilities
- Modelling structural behaviour, design, performance and safety for blast, shock and impact mitigation
- Risk assessment and security planning
- Advanced computer modelling and protective design
- Transport security and network modelling
- Protection of water and gas pipelines
- Assessment of climate change effects on infrastructure
We provide advanced engineering analysis and design services in the following areas:
- Civil and structural analysis and design
- Advanced structural dynamics analysis
- Retrofit, repair and rehabilitation
- Design reviews and value engineering studies
- Building foundation design, retaining wall design
- Structural analysis/investigation/evaluation
- Industrial building design/plans/specifications
- Advanced finite element analysis
- Computer-Aided Design (CAD)
- Computational Fluid Dynamic (CFD) analysis
Our unique capabilities entail modeling and designing structures to meet client-specific performance goals and objectives, balancing long-term serviceability against initial construction costs. Our engineers develop unique, cost-effective and practical performance-based solutions for new design and renovations to meet client-specific requirements. This extensive and unique experience is particularly important to our clients because it provides our engineers with the ability to look beyond the building codes and provide cost-effective and practical solutions to meet each client’s and project’s specific structural performance goals and objectives.
The group has completed a wide variety of design projects, ranging in scale from concept and schematic studies, to full design and construction projects. We have consulted on a wide variety of new buildings, facilities and other structures, along with renovations, repairs and retrofit designs (for earthquake, wind, blast, impact and fire) for all types of facilities.