Dr Wenyan Wu
Dr Wenyan Wu is a Lecturer in Environmental Hydrology & Water Resources in the Department of Infrastructure Engineering, the University of Melbourne. She has over ten years’ experience across academia and industry.
Dr Wu has a background in environmental modelling and optimisation using artificial intelligence and evolutionary algorithms, with applications in optimal design and operation of water distribution systems and management of water resource systems. She also worked as an Environmental Engineer, when she conducted flood risk assessment and developed flood mitigation strategies with the aid of 2D hydrodynamic models. Her current research focuses on the use of numerical and statistical modelling tools to solve environmental engineering problems, including:
• Compound event analysis (e.g. compound flood)
• Water resource/supply system modelling and optimisation
• Artificial neural networks for environmental modelling
• Ensemble flood forecasting
• Multi-objective optimisation and its applications in decision support
Dr Wu completed her PhD in Civil and Environmental Engineering in 2012 at the University of Adelaide on the topic of optimisation of water distribution systems considering economic and environmental impact and reliability. Her thesis received the Dean's Commendation for Doctoral Thesis Excellence.
- Wu, W.; Mcinnes, K.; O'grady, J.; Hoeke, R.; Leonard, M.; Westra, S. Mapping Dependence Between Extreme Rainfall and Storm Surge. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans. AMER GEOPHYSICAL UNION. 2018, Vol. 123, Issue 4, pp. 2461-2474. DOI: 10.1002/2017JC013472
- Zheng, F.; Maier, HR.; Wu, W.; Dandy, GC.; Gupta, HV.; Zhang, T. On Lack of Robustness in Hydrological Model Development Due to Absence of Guidelines for Selecting Calibration and Evaluation Data: Demonstration for Data-Driven Models. Water Resources Research. AMER GEOPHYSICAL UNION. 2018, Vol. 54, Issue 2, pp. 1013-1030. DOI: 10.1002/2017WR021470
- Wu, W.; Westra, S.; Leonard, M. A basis function approach for exploring the seasonal and spatial features of storm surge events. Geophysical Research Letters. AMER GEOPHYSICAL UNION. 2017, Vol. 44, Issue 14, pp. 7356-7365. DOI: 10.1002/2017GL074357
- Wu, W.; Dandy, GC.; Maier, HR.; Maheepala, S.; Marchi, A.; Mirza, F. Identification of Optimal Water Supply Portfolios for a Major City. Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management. ASCE-AMER SOC CIVIL ENGINEERS. 2017, Vol. 143, Issue 9. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0000811
- Humphrey, GB.; Maier, HR.; Wu, W.; Mount, NJ.; Dandy, GC.; Abrahart, RJ.; Dawson, CW. Improved validation framework and R-package for artificial neural network models. Environmental Modelling & Software. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2017, Vol. 92, pp. 82-106. DOI: 10.1016/j.envsoft.2017.01.023
- Wu, W.; Maier, HR.; Dandy, GC.; Leonard, R.; Bellette, K.; Cuddy, S.; Maheepala, S. Including stakeholder input in formulating and solving real-world optimisation problems: Generic framework and case study. Environmental Modelling & Software. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2016, Vol. 79, pp. 197-213. DOI: 10.1016/j.envsoft.2016.02.012
- Wu, W.; Dandy, GC.; Maier, HR. Optimal Control of Total Chlorine and Free Ammonia Levels in a Water Transmission Pipeline Using Artificial Neural Networks and Genetic Algorithms. Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management. ASCE-AMER SOC CIVIL ENGINEERS. 2015, Vol. 141, Issue 7. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0000486
- Marchi, A.; Salomons, E.; Ostfeld, A.; Kapelan, Z.; Simpson, AR.; Zecchin, AC.; Maier, HR.; Wu, ZY.; Elsayed, SM.; Song, Y.; Walski, T.; Stokes, C.; Wu, W.; Dandy, GC.; Alvisi, S.; Creaco, E.; Franchini, M.; Saldarriaga, J.; Paez, D.; Hernandez, D.; Bohorquez, J.; Bent, R.; Coffrin, C.; Judi, D.; Mcpherson, T.; Van Hentenryck, P.; Matos, JP.; Monteiro, AJ.; Matias, N.; Yoo, DG.; Lee, HM.; Kim, JH.; Iglesias-rey, PL.; Martinez-solano, FJ.; Mora-melia, D.; Ribelles-aguilar, JV.; Guidolin, M.; Fu, G.; Reed, P.; Wang, Q.; Liu, H.; Mcclymont, K.; Johns, M.; Keedwell, E.; Kandiah, V.; Jasper, MN.; Drake, K.; Shafiee, E.; Barandouzi, MA.; Berglund, AD.; Brill, D.; Mahinthakumar, G.; Ranjithan, R.; Zechman, EM.; Morley, MS.; Tricarico, C.; De Marinis, G.; Tolson, BA.; Khedr, A.; Asadzadeh, M. Battle of the Water Networks II. Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management. ASCE-AMER SOC CIVIL ENGINEERS. 2014, Vol. 140, Issue 7. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0000378
- Wu, W.; Dandy, GC.; Maier, HR. Protocol for developing ANN models and its application to the assessment of the quality of the ANN model development process in drinking water quality modelling. Environmental Modelling & Software. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2014, Vol. 54, pp. 108-127. DOI: 10.1016/j.envsoft.2013.12.016
- Wu, W.; Dandy, GC.; Maier, H. Use of SCADA Data and Artificial Neural Networks to Forecast and Control Disinfection Levels in a Water Transmission Pipeline.. . ASCE - American Society of Civil Engineers. 2014.
- Wu, W.; May, RJ.; Maier, HR.; Dandy, GC. A benchmarking approach for comparing data splitting methods for modeling water resources parameters using artificial neural networks. Water Resources Research. AMER GEOPHYSICAL UNION. 2013, Vol. 49, Issue 11, pp. 7598-7614. DOI: 10.1002/2012WR012713
- Wu, W.; Maier, HR.; Simpson, AR. Multiobjective optimization of water distribution systems accounting for economic cost, hydraulic reliability, and greenhouse gas emissions. Water Resources Research. AMER GEOPHYSICAL UNION. 2013, Vol. 49, Issue 3, pp. 1211-1225. DOI: 10.1002/wrcr.20120
- Wu, W.; May, R.; Dandy, GC.; Maier, HR. A method for comparing data splitting approaches for developing hydrological ann models. iEMSs 2012 - Managing Resources of a Limited Planet: Proceedings of the 6th Biennial Meeting of the International Environmental Modelling and Software Society. 2012, pp. 1620-1627.
- Wu, W.; Maier, HR.; Dandy, GC. ANN forecasting of water quality in the chloraminated goldfield and agricultural pipeline system: Constructive input selection. 14th Water Distribution Systems Analysis Conference 2012, WDSA 2012. 2012, Vol. 1, pp. 425-434.
- Stokes, C.; Wu, W.; Dandy, C. Battle of the water networks II: Combining engineering judgement with genetic algorithm optimization. . ASCE - American Society of Civil Engineers. 2012.
- Wu, W.; Maier, H.; Dandy, G.; May, R. Exploring the impact of data division methods on the performance of artificial neural networks. . International Association of Hydro-Environment Engineering and Research. 2012.
- Wu, W.; Simpson, AR.; Maier, HR.; Marchi, A. Incorporation of Variable-Speed Pumping in Multiobjective Genetic Algorithm Optimization of the Design of Water Transmission Systems. Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management. ASCE-AMER SOC CIVIL ENGINEERS. 2012, Vol. 138, Issue 5, pp. 543-552. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0000195
- Wu, W.; Simpson, AR.; Maier, HR. Sensitivity of Optimal Tradeoffs between Cost and Greenhouse Gas Emissions for Water Distribution Systems to Electricity Tariff and Generation. Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management. ASCE-AMER SOC CIVIL ENGINEERS. 2012, Vol. 138, Issue 2, pp. 182-186. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0000169
- Wu, W.; Dandy, GC.; Maier, HR. Application of artificial neural networks to forecasting water quality in a chloraminated water distribution system. MODSIM 2011 - 19th International Congress on Modelling and Simulation - Sustaining Our Future: Understanding and Living with Uncertainty. MODELLING & SIMULATION SOC AUSTRALIA & NEW ZEALAND INC. 2011, pp. 1112-1118.
- Wu, W.; Simpson, A.; Maier, H. Reducing greenhouse gas emissions from water distribution systems using multi-objective optimisation and variable speed pumping. . Australian Water Association. 2011.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile