Dr Wenyan Wu
Dr Wenyan Wu is a Lecturer in Environmental Hydrology & Water Resources in the Department of Infrastructure Engineering, the University of Melbourne. She has over ten years’ experience across academia and industry.
Dr Wu has a background in environmental modelling and optimisation using artificial intelligence and evolutionary algorithms, with applications in optimal design and operation of water distribution systems and management of water resource systems. She also worked as an Environmental Engineer, when she conducted flood risk assessment and developed flood mitigation strategies with the aid of 2D hydrodynamic models. Her current research focuses on the use of numerical and statistical modelling tools to solve environmental engineering problems, including:
• Compound event analysis (e.g. compound flood)
• Water resource/supply system modelling and optimisation
• Artificial neural networks
• Ensemble flood forecasting
• Multi-objective optimisation and its applications
Dr Wu completed her PhD in Civil and Environmental Engineering in 2012 at the University of Adelaide on the topic of optimisation of water distribution systems considering economic and environmental impact and reliability. Her thesis received the Dean's Commendation for Doctoral Thesis Excellence.
- Zheng F, Maier HR, Wu W, Dandy GC, Gupta HV, Zhang T. On Lack of Robustness in Hydrological Model Development Due to Absence of Guidelines for Selecting Calibration and Evaluation Data: Demonstration for Data-Driven Models. Water Resources Research. American Geophysical Union. 2018, Vol. 54, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1002/2017WR021470
- Wu W, Westra S, Leonard M. A basis function approach for exploring the seasonal and spatial features of storm surge events. GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH LETTERS. American Geophysical Union. 2017, Vol. 44, Issue 14. DOI: 10.1002/2017GL074357
- Wu W, Dandy GC, Maier HR, Maheepala S, Marchi A, Mirza F. Identification of optimal water supply portfolios for a Major City. Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management. American Society of Civil Engineers. 2017, Vol. 143, Issue 9. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0000811
- Humphrey GB, Maier HR, Wu W, Mount NJ, Dandy GC, Abrahart RJ, Dawson CW. Improved validation framework and R-package for artificial neural network models. Environmental Modelling and Software. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 92. DOI: 10.1016/j.envsoft.2017.01.023
- Wu W, Maier HR, Dandy GC, Leonard R, Bellette K, Cuddy S, Maheepala S. Including stakeholder input in formulating and solving real-world optimisation problems: Generic framework and case study. Environmental Modelling and Software. Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 79. DOI: 10.1016/j.envsoft.2016.02.012
- Wu W, Dandy GC, Maier HR. Optimal control of total chlorine and free ammonia levels in a water transmission pipeline using artificial neural networks and genetic algorithms. Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management. American Society of Civil Engineers. 2015, Vol. 141, Issue 7. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0000486
- Marchi A, Salomons E, Ostfeld A, Kapelan Z, Simpson AR, Zecchin AC, Maier HR, Wu ZY, Elsayed SM, Song Y, Walski T, Stokes C, Wu W, Dandy GC, Alvisi S, Creaco E, Franchini M, Saldarriaga J, PÁez D, HernÁndez D, Bohorquez J, Bent R, Coffrin C, Judi D, McPherson T, Van Hentenryck P, Matos JP, Monteiro AJ, Matias N, Yoo DG, Lee HM, Kim JH, Iglesias-Rey PL, MartÍnez-Solano FJ, Mora-MeliÁ D, Ribelles-Aguilar JV, Guidolin M, Fu G, Reed P, Wang Q, Liu H, McClymont K, Johns M, Keedwell E, Kandiah V, Jasper MN, Drake K, Shafiee E, Barandouzi MA, Berglund AD, Brill D, Mahinthakumar G, Ranjithan R, Zechman EM, Morley MS, Tricarico C, De Marinis G, Tolson BA, Khedr A, Asadzadeh M. Battle of the Water Networks II. Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management. American Society of Civil Engineers. 2014, Vol. 140, Issue 7. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0000378
- Wu W, Dandy GC, Maier HR. Protocol for developing ANN models and its application to the assessment of the quality of the ANN model development process in drinking water quality modelling. Environmental Modelling and Software. Elsevier Science. 2014, Vol. 54. DOI: 10.1016/j.envsoft.2013.12.016
- Wu W, Dandy GC, Maier H. Use of SCADA Data and Artificial Neural Networks to Forecast and Control Disinfection Levels in a Water Transmission Pipeline.. 16 th Water Distribution Systems Analysis Conference. ASCE - American Society of Civil Engineers. 2014.
- Wu W, May RJ, Maier HR, Dandy GC. A benchmarking approach for comparing data splitting methods for modeling water resources parameters using artificial neural networks. Water Resources Research. American Geophysical Union. 2013, Vol. 49, Issue 11. DOI: 10.1002/2012WR012713
- Wu W, Maier HR, Simpson AR. Multiobjective optimization of water distribution systems accounting for economic cost, hydraulic reliability, and greenhouse gas emissions. Water Resources Research. American Geophysical Union. 2013, Vol. 49, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1002/wrcr.20120
- Wu W, May R, Dandy GC, Maier HR. A method for comparing data splitting approaches for developing hydrological ann models. iEMSs 2012 - Managing Resources of a Limited Planet: Proceedings of the 6th Biennial Meeting of the International Environmental Modelling and Software Society. 2012.
- Wu W, Maier HR, Dandy GC. ANN forecasting of water quality in the chloraminated goldfield and agricultural pipeline system: Constructive input selection. 14th Water Distribution Systems Analysis Conference 2012, WDSA 2012. 2012, Vol. 1.
- Stokes C, Wu W, Dandy C. Battle of the water networks II: Combining engineering judgement with genetic algorithm optimization. WDSA 2012: 14th Water Distribution Systems Analysis Conference. ASCE - American Society of Civil Engineers. 2012.
- Wu W, Maier H, Dandy G, May R. Exploring the impact of data division methods on the performance of artificial neural networks. HIC 2012 - 10th International Conference on Hydroinformatics. 2012.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile