Dr Marco Ghisalberti
- Ecohydraulics (Physical-biological coupling in aquatic systems)
- Environmental fluid mechanics (Flow, turbulence and transport in environmental systems)
- Experimental fluid mechanics (Physical modelling of complex natural systems)
Marco Ghisalberti is in the Environmental Hydrology and Water Resources group in the Department of Infrastructure Engineering. His research is in the area of environmental fluid mechanics and ecohydraulics, with a focus on using experimental and numerical tools to understand flow, turbulence & transport in complex environmental systems, such as seagrass meadows, coral reefs, island wakes and porous media.
Current research projects include:
- Flow and mixing at the sediment-water interface
- Sediment transport in aquatic ecosystems
- Wake structure and upwelling in island wakes -
- Particle dynamics in aquatic ecosystems
- Predicting fluid residence time in coastal seagrass canopies
- Improving hydraulic efficiency of wastewater treatment ponds (with WA Water Corporation)
- Voermans J, Ghisalberti M, Ivey GN. A Model for Mass Transport Across the Sediment-Water Interface. WATER RESOURCES RESEARCH. American Geophysical Union. 2018, Vol. 54, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1002/2017WR022418
- Morris RL, Konlechner T, Ghisalberti M, Swearer S. From grey to green: Efficacy of eco-engineering solutions for nature-based coastal defence. GLOBAL CHANGE BIOLOGY. Blackwell Publishers. 2018, Vol. 24, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1111/gcb.14063
- Coggins LX, Sounness J, Zheng L, Ghisalberti M, Ghadouani A. Impact of Hydrodynamic Reconfiguration with Baffles on Treatment Performance in Waste Stabilisation Ponds: A Full-Scale Experiment. WATER. MDPI AG. 2018, Vol. 10, Issue 2. DOI: 10.3390/w10020109
- Pomeroy AWM, Lowe RJ, Ghisalberti M, Winter G, Storlazzi C, Cuttler M. Spatial Variability of Sediment Transport Processes Over Intratidal and Subtidal Timescales Within a Fringing Coral Reef System. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-EARTH SURFACE. American Geophysical Union. 2018, Vol. 123, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1002/2017JF004468
- Adams MP, Ghisalberti M, Lowe RJ, Callaghan DP, Baird ME, Infantes E, O'Brien KR. Water residence time controls the feedback between seagrass, sediment and light: Implications for restoration. ADVANCES IN WATER RESOURCES. Pergamon. 2018, Vol. 117. DOI: 10.1016/j.advwatres.2018.04.004
- Etminan V, Lowe RJ, Ghisalberti M. A new model for predicting the drag exerted by vegetation canopies. WATER RESOURCES RESEARCH. American Geophysical Union. 2017, Vol. 53, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1002/2016WR020090
- Pomeroy AWM, Lowe RJ, Ghisalberti M, Storlazzi C, Symonds G, Roelvink D. Sediment transport in the presence of large reef bottom roughness. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-OCEANS. American Geophysical Union. 2017, Vol. 122, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1002/2016JC011755
- Coggins LX, Ghisalberti M, Ghadouani A. Sludge accumulation and distribution impact the hydraulic performance in waste stabilisation ponds. WATER RESEARCH. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 110. DOI: 10.1016/j.watres.2016.11.031
- Voermans J, Ghisalberti M, Ivey GN. The variation of flow and turbulence across the sediment-water interface. JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS. Cambridge University Press. 2017, Vol. 824. DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2017.345
- Abdolahpour M, Hambleton M, Ghisalberti M. The wave-driven current in coastal canopies. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-OCEANS. American Geophysical Union. 2017, Vol. 122, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1002/2016JC012446
- Abdolahpour M, Ghisalberti M, Lavery P, McMahon K. Vertical mixing in coastal canopies. LIMNOLOGY AND OCEANOGRAPHY. American Society of Limnology and Oceanography. 2017, Vol. 62, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1002/lno.10368
- Voermans J, Ghisalberti M, Ivey G. COHERENT VORTEX STRUCTURES AT THE SEDIMENT-WATER-INTERFACE. 11TH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON ECOHYDRAULICS. 2016.
- Adams MP, Hovey RK, Hipsey MR, Bruce LC, Ghisalberti M, Lowe RJ, Gruber RK, Ruiz-Montoya L, Maxwell PS, Callaghan DP, Kendrick GA, O'Brien KR. Feedback between sediment and light for seagrass: Where is it important?. LIMNOLOGY AND OCEANOGRAPHY. American Society of Limnology and Oceanography. 2016, Vol. 61, Issue 6. DOI: 10.1002/lno.10319
- Etminan V, Lowe RJ, Ghisalberti M. Large Eddy Simulation of Wave-driven Hydrodynamics through Emergent Aquatic Vegetation. 20th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference (AFMC). Australasian Fluid Mechanics Society. 2016.
- Van Rooijen AA, Lowe RJ, Ghisalberti M, Hansen J, McCall RT, Van Dongeren AR. Physical and Numerical Modelling of Wave Transformation through a Coastal Canopy. 20th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference (AFMC). Australasian Fluid Mechanics Society. 2016.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile