Dr Mahdi Miri Disfani
- Geotechnical Engineering (Soil Dynamics, Ground Improvement, Discrete Element Modelling)
- Transportation Geotechnics
I graduated in 2003 from Amirkabir University of Technology in Tehran; Iran where later I got a Master of Science Degree in Geotechnical Engineering in 2006. I worked as a geotechnical engineer on design and testing of core and filter of embankment dams in Iran while doing my research on Internal Erosion of Embankment Dam Foundations.
In 2011; I graduated with a PhD in Engineering from Swinburne University of Technology (Australia) where I was awarded the Vice Chancellor Scholarship for the duration of my studies. I worked as a Lecturer in Geotechnical Engineering in Department of Civil and Construction Engineering at Swinburne University of Technology from 2011 until February 2015. During these years I focused on research in field of pavement geotechnics, ground improvement and advanced soil and pavement testing. I developed an interest in Sustainable Geotechnics particularly in application of recycled material in geotechnical engineering applications.
As an Early Career Researcher I have an outstanding track record delivering research outcomes through my success in state government grants, industry grants, refereed publications, and awards.
Since 2011, I have been involved as a Chief Investigator in 9 research projects and I am the lead investigator and project leader in 7 of these projects. My research has led to significant end-user benefits along with benefits to the wider community in terms of knowledge development, field usage of research outputs and development of new specifications and guidelines towards using recycled waste materials in road work applications.
- Karunarathne AMAN, Fardipour M, Gad EF, Rajeev P, Miri Disfani M, Sivanerupan S, Wilson JL. Correction to: Modelling of Climate Induced Moisture Variations and Subsequent Ground Movements in Expansive Soils (Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, (2018), 36, 4, (2455-2477), 10.1007/s10706-018-0476-0). Geotechnical and Geological Engineering. 2018, Vol. 36, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1007/s10706-018-0500-4
- Lam N, Yong ACY, Lam C, Kwan JSH, Perera JS, Miri Disfani M, Gad E. Displacement-Based Approach for the Assessment of Overturning Stability of Rectangular Rigid Barriers Subjected to Point Impact. JOURNAL OF ENGINEERING MECHANICS. ASCE - American Society of Civil Engineers. 2018, Vol. 144, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0001383
- Yaghoubi M, Arulrajah A, Miri Disfani M, Horpibulsuk S, Bo MW, Darmawan S. Effects of industrial by-product based geopolymers on the strength development of a soft soil. Soils and Foundations. 2018. DOI: 10.1016/j.sandf.2018.03.005
- Hemachandra P, Miri Disfani M, Mohammadinia A, Aye L. Field test results on permeable pavements comprising tyre derived aggregates. 10th International Conference on Water Sensitive Urban Design: Creating water sensitive communities (WSUD 2018 & Hydropolis 2018). Engineers Australia. 2018.
- Yaghoubi E, Miri Disfani M, Arulrajah A, Kodikara J. Impact of compaction method on mechanical characteristics of unbound granular recycled materials. ROAD MATERIALS AND PAVEMENT DESIGN. Taylor & Francis Ltd. 2018, Vol. 19, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1080/14680629.2017.1283354
- Al-Taie A, Miri Disfani M, Evans R, Arulrajah A, Horpibulsuk S. Impact of curing on behaviour of basaltic expansive clay. Road Materials and Pavement Design. 2018, Vol. 19, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1080/14680629.2016.1267660
- Mohammadinia A, Miri Disfani M, Narsilio G, Aye L. Mechanical behaviour and load bearing mechanism of high porosity permeable pavements utilizing recycled tire aggregates. CONSTRUCTION AND BUILDING MATERIALS. Elsevier BV. 2018, Vol. 168. DOI: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2018.02.179
- Karunarathne AMAN, Fardipour M, Gad EF, Rajeev P, Miri Disfani M, Sivanerupan S, Wilson JL. Modelling of Climate Induced Moisture Variations and Subsequent Ground Movements in Expansive Soils. Geotechnical and Geological Engineering. 2018, Vol. 36, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1007/s10706-018-0476-0
- Miri Disfani M, Mohammadinia A, Narsilio G, Aye L. Performance evaluation of semi-flexible permeable pavements under cyclic loads. International Journal of Pavement Engineering. 2018. DOI: 10.1080/10298436.2018.1475666
- Afshar T, Miri Disfani M, Narsilio G, Arulrajah A. Post-breakage changes in particle properties using synchrotron tomography. POWDER TECHNOLOGY. Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 325. DOI: 10.1016/j.powtec.2017.11.039
- Mehdizadeh A, Miri Disfani M, Evans R, Arulrajah A. Progressive Internal Erosion in a Gap-Graded Internally Unstable Soil: Mechanical and Geometrical Effects. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF GEOMECHANICS. ASCE - American Society of Civil Engineers. 2018, Vol. 18, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)GM.1943-5622.0001085
- Mohammadinia A, Arulrajah A, Miri Disfani M, Bo MW, Darmawan S. Alkali-activated stabilized demolition wastes for geotechnical applications. ICSMGE 2017 - 19th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering. 2017, Vol. 2017-September.
- Mehdizadeh A, Miri Disfani M, Evans R, Arulrajah A, Ong DEL. Application of image processing in internal erosion investigation. ICSMGE 2017 - 19th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering. 2017, Vol. 2017-September.
- Mohammadinia A, Miri Disfani M, Narsilio G, Hemachandra P, Aye L. Application of semi-rigid composite permeable pavements in road network. Geotechnical Innovations and Challenges for Transport Infrastructure. The Australian Geomechanics Society. 2017. Editors: Khabbaz H, Rujikiatkamjorn C.
- Afshar T, Miri Disfani M, Narsilio G, Arulrajah A. Changes to Grain Properties due to Breakage in a Sand Assembly using Synchrotron Tomography. EPJ Web of Conferences. 2017, Vol. 140. DOI: 10.1051/epjconf/201714007004
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile