Dr Mahdi Miri Disfani
- Geotechnical Engineering (Soil Dynamics, Ground Improvement, Discrete Element Modelling)
- Transportation Geotechnics
I graduated in 2003 from Amirkabir University of Technology in Tehran; Iran where later I got a Master of Science Degree in Geotechnical Engineering in 2006. I worked as a geotechnical engineer on design and testing of core and filter of embankment dams in Iran while doing my research on Internal Erosion of Embankment Dam Foundations.
In 2011; I graduated with a PhD in Engineering from Swinburne University of Technology (Australia) where I was awarded the Vice Chancellor Scholarship for the duration of my studies. I worked as a Lecturer in Geotechnical Engineering in Department of Civil and Construction Engineering at Swinburne University of Technology from 2011 until February 2015. During these years I focused on research in field of pavement geotechnics, ground improvement and advanced soil and pavement testing. I developed an interest in Sustainable Geotechnics particularly in application of recycled material in geotechnical engineering applications.
As an Early Career Researcher I have an outstanding track record delivering research outcomes through my success in state government grants, industry grants, refereed publications, and awards.
Since 2011, I have been involved as a Chief Investigator in 9 research projects and I am the lead investigator and project leader in 7 of these projects. My research has led to significant end-user benefits along with benefits to the wider community in terms of knowledge development, field usage of research outputs and development of new specifications and guidelines towards using recycled waste materials in road work applications.
- Yaghoubi E, Miri Disfani M, Arulrajah A, Kodikara J. Development of a Void Ratio-Moisture Ratio-Net Stress Framework for the Prediction of the Volumetric Behavior of Unsaturated Granular Materials. Soils and Foundations. 2019. DOI: 10.1016/j.sandf.2018.12.005
- Aditya G, Narsilio G, Johnston I, Miri Disfani M. Full-scale instrumented residential ground source heat pump systems in Melbourne, Australia. Springer Series in Geomechanics and Geoengineering. 2019, Issue 217729. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-99670-7_24
- Yaghoubi M, Arulrajah A, Miri Disfani M, Horpibulsuk S, Darmawan S, Wang J. Impact of field conditions on the strength development of a geopolymer stabilized marine clay. APPLIED CLAY SCIENCE. Elsevier. 2019, Vol. 167. DOI: 10.1016/j.clay.2018.10.005
- Ahmadi M, Mehdizadeh A, Khalili V, Miri Disfani M. Impact of stress path on fine particles role in internally unstable soils. Scour and Erosion IX - Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Scour and Erosion, ICSE 2018. 2019.
- Mehdizadeh A, Miri Disfani M. Micro scale study of internal erosion using 3d x-ray tomography. Scour and Erosion IX - Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Scour and Erosion, ICSE 2018. 2019.
- Mohammadinia A, Arulrajah A, Miri Disfani M, Darmawan S. Small-Strain Behavior of Cement-Stabilized Recycled Concrete Aggregate in Pavement Base Layers. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering. American Society of Civil Engineers. 2019, Vol. 31, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0002671
- Al-Taie A, Miri Disfani M, Evans R, Arulrajah A, Horpibulsuk S. Volumetric behavior and soil water characteristic curve of untreated and lime-stabilized reactive clay. International Journal of Geomechanics. ASCE - American Society of Civil Engineers. 2019, Vol. 19, Issue 2.
- Lam N, Yong A, Lam C, Kwan JSH, Perera JS, Miri Disfani M, Gad E. Displacement-Based Approach for the Assessment of Overturning Stability of Rectangular Rigid Barriers Subjected to Point Impact. JOURNAL OF ENGINEERING MECHANICS. ASCE - American Society of Civil Engineers. 2018, Vol. 144, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0001383
- Yaghoubi M, Arulrajah A, Miri Disfani M, Horpibulsuk S, Bo MW, Darmawan S. Effects of industrial by-product based geopolymers on the strength development of a soft soil. SOILS AND FOUNDATIONS. 2018, Vol. 58, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1016/j.sandf.2018.03.005
- Arulrajah A, Yaghoubi M, Miri Disfani M, Horpibulsuk S, Bo MW, Leong M. Evaluation of fly ash- and slag-based geopolymers for the improvement of a soft marine clay by deep soil mixing. SOILS AND FOUNDATIONS. 2018, Vol. 58, Issue 6. DOI: 10.1016/j.sandf.2018.07.005
- Hemachandra P, Miri Disfani M, Mohammadinia A, Aye L. Field test results on permeable pavements comprising tyre derived aggregates. 10th International Conference on Water Sensitive Urban Design: Creating water sensitive communities (WSUD 2018 & Hydropolis 2018). Engineers Australia. 2018.
- Yaghoubi E, Miri Disfani M, Arulrajah A, Kodikara J. Impact of compaction method on mechanical characteristics of unbound granular recycled materials. ROAD MATERIALS AND PAVEMENT DESIGN. Taylor & Francis Ltd. 2018, Vol. 19, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1080/14680629.2017.1283354
- Al-Taie A, Miri Disfani M, Evans R, Arulrajah A, Horpibulsuk S. Impact of curing on behaviour of basaltic expansive clay. Road Materials and Pavement Design. 2018, Vol. 19, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1080/14680629.2016.1267660
- Mohammadinia A, Miri Disfani M, Narsilio G, Aye L. Mechanical behaviour and load bearing mechanism of high porosity permeable pavements utilizing recycled tire aggregates. CONSTRUCTION AND BUILDING MATERIALS. Elsevier BV. 2018, Vol. 168. DOI: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2018.02.179
- Karunarathne AMAN, Fardipour M, Gad E, Rajeev P, Miri Disfani M, Sivanerupan S, Wilson JL. Modelling of Climate Induced Moisture Variations and Subsequent Ground Movements in Expansive Soils. GEOTECHNICAL AND GEOLOGICAL ENGINEERING. Springer Verlag. 2018, Vol. 36, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1007/s10706-018-0476-0
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile