Dr Martin Tomko
- Geographic Information Retrieval (annotation, search and retrieval, and ranking of spatially related data)
- Spatial analytics (mobility analytics, spatial machine learning and AI)
- Spatial data integration (spatial databases, spatial data quality)
- Spatial information science (spatial communication, retail analytics, cyber-physical-social systems, spatial recommender systems)
- Spatial infrastructures (eResearch infrastructure in the spatial domain)
I am a Lecturer in the discipline of Geomatics with research interests in the area of Spatial Information Science, spatial network analysis, urban structure analysis and geographic information retrieval. My research thus contributes to numerous areas of spatial cognitive engineering. I have a broad experience in design, implementation and management of the technical aspects of large-scale geospatial infrastructures and data handling, such as the design and implementation of a strategic Australian eResearch portal AURIN - The Australian Urban Research Infrastructure Network's flagship product.
- Chen H, Vasardani M, Winter S, Tomko M. A Graph Database Model for Knowledge Extracted from Place Descriptions. ISPRS INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF GEO-INFORMATION. 2018, Vol. 7, Issue 6. DOI: 10.3390/ijgi7060221
- Ren Y, Tomko M, Salim FD, Chan J, Clarke CLA, Sanderson M. A Location-Query-Browse Graph for Contextual Recommendation. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON KNOWLEDGE AND DATA ENGINEERING. IEEE Computer Society. 2018, Vol. 30, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1109/TKDE.2017.2766059
- Naghi Zadeh Kakhki E, Chan J, Ren Y, Tomko M. Contextual location imputation for confined wifi trajectories. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). Springer Verlag. 2018, Vol. 10938 LNAI. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-93037-4_35
- Hamzei E, Hua H, Tomko M, Chen H, Vasardani M, Winter S. Deriving place graphs from spatial databases. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. Rheinisch-Westfaelische Technische Hochschule Aachen * Lehrstuhl Informatik V. 2018, Vol. 2087.
- Priyogi B, Sanderson M, Salim F, Chan J, Tomko M, Ren Y. Identifying in-app user actions from mobile web logs. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). Springer Verlag. 2018, Vol. 10938 LNAI. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-93037-4_24
- Scherrer L, Tomko M, Ranacher P, Weibel R. Travelers or locals? Identifying meaningful sub-populations from human movement data in the absence of ground truth. EPJ Data Science. 2018, Vol. 7, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1140/epjds/s13688-018-0147-7
- Ren Y, Tomko M, Salim FD, Ong K, Sanderson M. Analyzing Web Behavior in Indoor Retail Spaces. JOURNAL OF THE ASSOCIATION FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY. John Wiley & Sons. 2017, Vol. 68, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1002/asi.23587
- Ren Y, Salim FD, Tomko M, Bai YB, Chan J, Qin KK, Sanderson M. D-Log: A WiFi Log-based differential scheme for enhanced indoor localization with single RSSI source and infrequent sampling rate. PERVASIVE AND MOBILE COMPUTING. Elsevier. 2017, Vol. 37. DOI: 10.1016/j.pmcj.2016.09.018
- Majic I, Winter S, Tomko M. Finding equivalent keys in OpenStreetMap: Semantic similarity computation based on extensional definitions. Proceedings of the 1st Workshop on GeoAI: AI and Deep Learning for Geographic Knowledge Discovery, GeoAI 2017. 2017. DOI: 10.1145/3149808.3149813
- Winter S, Tomko M, Vasardani M, Richter K-F, Khoshelham K. Indoor localization and navigation independent of sensor based technologies. SIGSPATIAL Special. Association for Computing Machinery. 2017, Vol. 9, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1145/3124104.3124109
- Zhao H, Winter S, Tomko M. Integrating Decentralized Indoor Evacuation with Information Depositories in the Field. ISPRS INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF GEO-INFORMATION. MDPI AG. 2017, Vol. 6, Issue 7. DOI: 10.3390/ijgi6070213
- Maguire S, Tomko M. Ripe for the picking? Dataset maturity assessment based on temporal dynamics of feature definitions. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF GEOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION SCIENCE. Taylor & Francis Ltd. 2017, Vol. 31, Issue 7. DOI: 10.1080/13658816.2017.1287370
- Scheider S, Tomko M. Knowing Whether Spatio-Temporal Analysis Procedures Are Applicable to Datasets. 9th International Conference on Formal Ontology in Information Systems (FOIS). IOS Press. 2016, Vol. 283. Editors: Ferrario R, Kuhn W. DOI: 10.3233/978-1-61499-660-6-67
- Richter K-F, Tomko M, Coltekin A. Are We There Yet? Spatial Cognitive Engineering for Situated Human-Computer Interaction. CESIP 2015 Workshop. 2015.
- Tomko M, Richter K-F. Defensive Wayfinding: Incongruent Information in Route Following. 12th International Conference on Spatial Information Theory (COSIT). Springer Verlag. 2015, Vol. 9368. Editors: Fabrikant SI, Raubal M, Bertolotto M, Davies C, Freundschuh S, Bell S. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-23374-1_20
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile