Professor Alexander Babanin
- Professor - Ocean Engineering
- Co-Director, Australia-China Centre for Maritime Engineering
- Adjunct Professor, Swinburne University of Technology
Professor Alexander Babanin obtained a Bachelor of Science (Physics) from the Lomonosov Moscow State University in Russia in 1980; a Master of Science in Physical Oceanography in 1983 and a Doctor of Philosophy in Physics and Mathematics in 1990.
He worked in the Marine Hydrophysical Institute, Sebastopol (Russia) before relocating to Australia in 1996.
He has worked at the Australian Defence Force Academy in Canberra, The University of Adelaide in South Australia and Swinburne University of Technology.
In early 2016 he commenced at the University of Melbourne.
His areas of expertise and research are wind-generated waves, maritime engineering, air-sea interactions, ocean turbulence, ocean mixing, climate, remote sensing of the ocean.
He has produced more than 200 publications.
- Doong D-J, Peng J-P, Babanin A. Field investigations of coastal sea surface temperature drop after typhoon passages. EARTH SYSTEM SCIENCE DATA. Copernicus GmBH. 2019, Vol. 11, Issue 1. DOI: 10.5194/essd-11-323-2019
- Liu Q, Rogers WE, Babanin A, Young I, Romero L, Zieger S, Qiao F, Guan C. Observation-Based Source Terms in the Third-Generation Wave Model WAVEWATCH III: Updates and Verification. JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL OCEANOGRAPHY. American Meteorological Society. 2019, Vol. 49, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1175/JPO-D-18-0137.1
- Rapizo Gomes H, Durrant TH, Babanin A. An assessment of the impact of surface currents on wave modeling in the Southern Ocean. OCEAN DYNAMICS. Springer Verlag. 2018, Vol. 68, Issue 8. DOI: 10.1007/s10236-018-1171-7
- Babanin A. CHANGE OF REGIME OF AIR SEA DYNAMICS IN EXTREME METOCEAN CONDITIONS. 37th ASME International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering. ASME International. 2018, Vol. 3. DOI: 10.1115/OMAE2018-77484
- Stoney L, Walsh K, Thomas S, Spence P, Babanin A. Changes in Ocean Heat Content Caused by Wave-Induced Mixing in a High-Resolution Ocean Model. JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL OCEANOGRAPHY. American Meteorological Society. 2018, Vol. 48, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1175/JPO-D-17-0142.1
- Zhang H, Babanin A, Ignatov A, Petrenko B. Initial Evaluation of the Sensor-Specific Error Statistics in the NOAA Advanced Clear-Sky Processor for Oceans SST System: Diurnal Variation Signals Captured. IEEE GEOSCIENCE AND REMOTE SENSING LETTERS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2018, Vol. 15, Issue 11. DOI: 10.1109/LGRS.2018.2859747
- Thomson J, Ackley S, Girard-Ardhuin F, Ardhuin F, Babanin A, Boutin G, Brozena J, Cheng S, Collins C, Doble M, Fairall C, Guest P, Gebhardt C, Gemmrich J, Graber HC, Holt B, Lehner S, Lund B, Meylan MH, Maksym T, Montiel F, Perrie W, Persson O, Rainville L, Rogers WE, Shen H, Shen H, Squire V, Stammerjohn S, Stopa J, Smith MM, Sutherland P, Wadhams P. Overview of the Arctic Sea State and Boundary Layer Physics Program. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-OCEANS. American Geophysical Union. 2018, Vol. 123, Issue 12. DOI: 10.1002/2018JC013766
- Chalikov D, Babanin A. PLAIN INTERPRETATION OF FREAK WAVES PHENOMENON. 37th ASME International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering. ASME International. 2018, Vol. 7B. DOI: 10.1115/OMAE2018-78393
- Sun J, Babanin A. SWELL WAVELENGTH VARIATION ACROSS THE OCEAN BASED ON SAR WAVE MODE DATA. 38th IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS). IEEE. 2018.
- Chen CW, Babanin A, MuḤammad A, Chen T, Chapron B, Chen CYJ. System computing and simulation for big data dissonances: A LMI-based criterion for fuzzy large-scale systems. International Journal of Simulation: Systems, Science and Technology. UK Simulation Society. 2018, Vol. 19, Issue 6. DOI: 10.5013/IJSSST.a.19.06.46
- Sun J, Wang X, Yuan X, Zhang Q, Guan C, Babanin A. The Dependence of Sea SAR Image Distribution Parameters on Surface Wave Characteristics. REMOTE SENSING. MDPI AG. 2018, Vol. 10, Issue 11. DOI: 10.3390/rs10111843
- Babanin A, McConochie J, Chalikov D. Winds near the Surface of Waves: Observations and Modeling. JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL OCEANOGRAPHY. American Meteorological Society. 2018, Vol. 48, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1175/JPO-D-17-0009.1
- Babanin A, Van Der Weshuijsen A, Chalikov D, Rogers WE. Advanced wave modeling, including wave-current interaction. JOURNAL OF MARINE RESEARCH. 2017, Vol. 75, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1357/002224017821836798
- Young I, Sanina E, Babanin A. Calibration and Cross Validation of a Global Wind and Wave Database of Altimeter, Radiometer, and Scatterometer Measurements. JOURNAL OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC TECHNOLOGY. American Meteorological Society. 2017, Vol. 34, Issue 6. DOI: 10.1175/JTECH-D-16-0145.1
- Jiang H, Babanin A, Liu Q, Stopad JE, Chapron B, Chen G. Can contemporary satellites estimate swell dissipation rate?. REMOTE SENSING OF ENVIRONMENT. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 201. DOI: 10.1016/j.rse.2017.08.037
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile