Professor Alexander Babanin
- Professor - Ocean Engineering
- Co-Director, Australia-China Centre for Maritime Engineering
- Adjunct Professor, Swinburne University of Technology
Professor Alexander Babanin obtained a Bachelor of Science (Physics) from the Lomonosov Moscow State University in Russia in 1980; a Master of Science in Physical Oceanography in 1983 and a Doctor of Philosophy in Physics and Mathematics in 1990.
He worked in the Marine Hydrophysical Institute, Sebastopol (Russia) before relocating to Australia in 1996.
He has worked at the Australian Defence Force Academy in Canberra, The University of Adelaide in South Australia and Swinburne University of Technology.
In early 2016 he commenced at the University of Melbourne.
His areas of expertise and research are wind-generated waves, maritime engineering, air-sea interactions, ocean turbulence, ocean mixing, climate, remote sensing of the ocean.
He has produced more than 200 publications.
- Voermans J, Rapizo H, Ma H, Qiao F, Babanin A. Air-Sea Momentum Fluxes during Tropical Cyclone Olwyn. JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL OCEANOGRAPHY. American Meteorological Society. 2019, Vol. 49, Issue 6. DOI: 10.1175/JPO-D-18-0261.1
- Zhang H, Babanin A, Liu Q, Ignatov A. Cool skin signals observed from Advanced Along-Track Scanning Radiometer (AATSR) and in situ SST measurements. REMOTE SENSING OF ENVIRONMENT. Elsevier Science. 2019, Vol. 226. DOI: 10.1016/j.rse.2019.03.035
- Chabchoub A, Mozumi K, Hoffmann N, Babanin A, Toffoli A, Steer JN, Van Den Bremer TS, Akhmediev N, Onorato M, Waseda T. Directional soliton and breather beams. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. National Academy of Sciences. 2019, Vol. 116, Issue 20. DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1821970116
- Thomas S, Babanin A, Walsh K, Stoney L, Heil P. Effect of wave-induced mixing on Antarctic sea ice in a high-resolution ocean model. 10th International Workshop on Modeling the Ocean (IWMO). Springer Verlag. 2019, Vol. 69, Issue 6. DOI: 10.1007/s10236-019-01268-0
- Chen T, Babanin A, Muhammad A, Chapron B, Chen CYJ. Evolved Fuzzy NN Control for Discrete-Time Nonlinear Systems. Journal of Circuits, Systems and Computers. World Scientific Publishing Co. 2019. DOI: 10.1142/S0218126620500152
- Doong D-J, Peng J-P, Babanin A. Field investigations of coastal sea surface temperature drop after typhoon passages. EARTH SYSTEM SCIENCE DATA. Copernicus GmBH. 2019, Vol. 11, Issue 1. DOI: 10.5194/essd-11-323-2019
- Liu Q, Rogers WE, Babanin A, Young I, Romero L, Zieger S, Qiao F, Guan C. Observation-Based Source Terms in the Third-Generation Wave Model WAVEWATCH III: Updates and Verification. JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL OCEANOGRAPHY. American Meteorological Society. 2019, Vol. 49, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1175/JPO-D-18-0137.1
- Yiew LJ, Parra SM, Wang D, Sree DKK, Babanin A, Law AW-K. Wave attenuation and dispersion due to floating ice covers. APPLIED OCEAN RESEARCH. Pergamon Press. 2019, Vol. 87. DOI: 10.1016/j.apor.2019.04.006
- Voermans J, Babanin A, Thomson J, Smith MM, Shen HH. Wave Attenuation by Sea Ice Turbulence. Geophysical Research Letters. American Geophysical Union. 2019. DOI: 10.1029/2019GL082945
- Rapizo Gomes H, Durrant TH, Babanin A. An assessment of the impact of surface currents on wave modeling in the Southern Ocean. OCEAN DYNAMICS. Springer Verlag. 2018, Vol. 68, Issue 8. DOI: 10.1007/s10236-018-1171-7
- Babanin A. CHANGE OF REGIME OF AIR SEA DYNAMICS IN EXTREME METOCEAN CONDITIONS. 37th ASME International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering. ASME International. 2018, Vol. 3. DOI: 10.1115/OMAE2018-77484
- Stoney L, Walsh K, Thomas S, Spence P, Babanin A. Changes in Ocean Heat Content Caused by Wave-Induced Mixing in a High-Resolution Ocean Model. JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL OCEANOGRAPHY. American Meteorological Society. 2018, Vol. 48, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1175/JPO-D-17-0142.1
- Zhang H, Babanin A, Ignatov A, Petrenko B. Initial Evaluation of the Sensor-Specific Error Statistics in the NOAA Advanced Clear-Sky Processor for Oceans SST System: Diurnal Variation Signals Captured. IEEE GEOSCIENCE AND REMOTE SENSING LETTERS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2018, Vol. 15, Issue 11. DOI: 10.1109/LGRS.2018.2859747
- Thomson J, Ackley S, Girard-Ardhuin F, Ardhuin F, Babanin A, Boutin G, Brozena J, Cheng S, Collins C, Doble M, Fairall C, Guest P, Gebhardt C, Gemmrich J, Graber HC, Holt B, Lehner S, Lund B, Meylan MH, Maksym T, Montiel F, Perrie W, Persson O, Rainville L, Rogers WE, Shen H, Shen H, Squire V, Stammerjohn S, Stopa J, Smith MM, Sutherland P, Wadhams P. Overview of the Arctic Sea State and Boundary Layer Physics Program. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-OCEANS. American Geophysical Union. 2018, Vol. 123, Issue 12. DOI: 10.1002/2018JC013766
- Chalikov D, Babanin A. PLAIN INTERPRETATION OF FREAK WAVES PHENOMENON. 37th ASME International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering. ASME International. 2018, Vol. 7B. DOI: 10.1115/OMAE2018-78393
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile