Professor Alexander Babanin
- Professor - Ocean Engineering
- Co-Director, Australia-China Centre for Maritime Engineering
- Adjunct Professor, Swinburne University of Technology
Professor Alexander Babanin obtained a Bachelor of Science (Physics) from the Lomonosov Moscow State University in Russia in 1980; a Master of Science in Physical Oceanography in 1983 and a Doctor of Philosophy in Physics and Mathematics in 1990.
He worked in the Marine Hydrophysical Institute, Sebastopol (Russia) before relocating to Australia in 1996.
He has worked at the Australian Defence Force Academy in Canberra, The University of Adelaide in South Australia and Swinburne University of Technology.
In early 2016 he commenced at the University of Melbourne.
His areas of expertise and research are wind-generated waves, maritime engineering, air-sea interactions, ocean turbulence, ocean mixing, climate, remote sensing of the ocean.
He has produced more than 200 publications.
- Rapizo H, Durrant TH, Babanin A. An assessment of the impact of surface currents on wave modeling in the Southern Ocean. Ocean Dynamics. Springer Verlag. 2018, Vol. 68, Issue 8. DOI: 10.1007/s10236-018-1171-7
- Stoney L, Walsh KJE, Thomas S, Spence P, Babanin A. Changes in ocean heat content caused by wave-induced mixing in a high-resolution ocean model. Journal of Physical Oceanography. American Meteorological Society. 2018, Vol. 48, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1175/JPO-D-17-0142.1
- Babanin A, McConochie J, Chalikov D. Winds near the surface of waves: Observations and modeling. Journal of Physical Oceanography. American Meteorological Society. 2018, Vol. 48, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1175/JPO-D-17-0009.1
- Babanin A, Van Der Weshuijsen A, Chalikov D, Rogers WE. Advanced wave modeling, including wave-current interaction. JOURNAL OF MARINE RESEARCH. 2017, Vol. 75, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1357/002224017821836798
- Young I, Sanina E, Babanin A. Calibration and Cross Validation of a Global Wind and Wave Database of Altimeter, Radiometer, and Scatterometer Measurements. JOURNAL OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC TECHNOLOGY. American Meteorological Society. 2017, Vol. 34, Issue 6. DOI: 10.1175/JTECH-D-16-0145.1
- Jiang H, Babanin A, Liu Q, Stopad JE, Chapron B, Chen G. Can contemporary satellites estimate swell dissipation rate?. REMOTE SENSING OF ENVIRONMENT. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 201. DOI: 10.1016/j.rse.2017.08.037
- Rapizo Gomes H, Babanin A, Provis D, Rogers WE. Current-induced dissipation in spectral wave models. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-OCEANS. American Geophysical Union. 2017, Vol. 122, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1002/2016JC012367
- Lee J, Monty J, Elsnab J, Toffoli A, Babanin A, Alberello A. Estimation of Kinetic Energy Dissipation from Breaking Waves in the Wave Crest Region. JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL OCEANOGRAPHY. American Meteorological Society. 2017, Vol. 47, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1175/JPO-D-16-0273.1
- Jiang H, Mouche A, Wang H, Babanin A, Chapron B, Chen G. Limitation of SAR Quasi-Linear Inversion Data on Swell Climate: An Example of Global Crossing Swells. REMOTE SENSING. MDPI AG. 2017, Vol. 9, Issue 2. DOI: 10.3390/rs9020107
- Lu J, Wang XH, Babanin A, Aijaz S, Sun Y, Teng Y, Jung K-T, Qiao F. Modeling of suspended sediment concentrations under combined wave-current flow over rippled bed. ESTUARINE COASTAL AND SHELF SCIENCE. Academic Press. 2017, Vol. 199. DOI: 10.1016/j.ecss.2017.09.020
- Aijaz S, Ghantous M, Babanin A, Ginis I, Thomas B, Wake G. Nonbreaking wave-induced mixing in upper ocean during tropical cyclones using coupled hurricane-ocean-wave modeling. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-OCEANS. American Geophysical Union. 2017, Vol. 122, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1002/2016JC012219
- Liu Q, Babanin A, Fan Y, Zieger S, Guan C, Moon I-J. Numerical simulations of ocean surface waves under hurricane conditions: Assessment of existing model performance. OCEAN MODELLING. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 118. DOI: 10.1016/j.ocemod.2017.08.005
- Babanin A, Jiang H. OCEAN SWELL, HOW MUCH DO WE KNOW. 36th ASME International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering. ASME International. 2017, Vol. 3A-2017. DOI: 10.1115/OMAE201761692
- Zhang HD, Sanina E, Babanin A, Guedes Soares C. On the analysis of 2D nonlinear gravity waves with a fully nonlinear numerical model. WAVE MOTION. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 70. DOI: 10.1016/j.wavemoti.2016.11.006
- Babanin A. Similarity Theory for Turbulence, Induced by Orbital Motion of Surface Water Waves. 24TH INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS OF THEORETICAL AND APPLIED MECHANICS - FOUNDATION OF MULTIDISCIPLINARY RESEARCH. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 20. Editors: Floryan JM. DOI: 10.1016/j.piutam.2017.03.014
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile