Associate Professor Russell Thompson
- Disaster Management
- Transport Engineering
- Transport Modelling
- Urban Freight
Russell is an Associate Professor in Transport Engineering in the Department of Infrastructure Engineering at the University of Melbourne in Australia. His research areas are urban freight, resilient transport systems and intelligent transport systems.
He has over 15 years of experience in urban freight research. Russell has been involved in a number of local and international studies relating to urban freight, including the European Union’s Best Urban Freight Solutions (BESTUFS) project and the OECD report on urban distribution.
Russell was a founding Director and has been the Vice President of the Institute for City Logistics based in Kyoto since 1999. He is also a Team Leader of the Volvo Research and Education Foundation’s Centre of Excellence in Sustainable Urban Freight Systems. He has been involved in several studies that have estimated the economic, environmental and safety benefits of performance based standards. Russell has published over 10 books and 50 refereed publications in the field of urban freight. He is currently involved in a number of projects involving autonomous freight vehicles.
Russell leads the Transport research program in the Centre of Disaster Management and Public Safety (CDMPS) and coordinates projects relating to the disruption and recovery of traffic networks, traffic guidance systems and humanitarian logistics.
- Aljohani K, Thompson R. A Stakeholder-Based Evaluation of the Most Suitable and Sustainable Delivery Fleet for Freight Consolidation Policies in the Inner-City Area. SUSTAINABILITY. MDPI AG. 2019, Vol. 11, Issue 1. DOI: 10.3390/su11010124
- Zhang Y, Jiang Y, Rui W, Thompson R. Analyzing truck fleets' acceptance of alternative fuel freight vehicles in China. RENEWABLE ENERGY. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2019, Vol. 134. DOI: 10.1016/j.renene.2018.09.016
- Saghapour T, Moridpour S, Thompson R. Estimating walking access levels incorporating distance thresholds of built environment features. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF SUSTAINABLE TRANSPORTATION. Taylor & Francis Ltd. 2019, Vol. 13, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1080/15568318.2017.1380245
- Ren J, Thompson R, Zhang L. Impact of Payload Spectra of Heavy Vehicles on Pavement Based on Weigh-in-Motion Data. JOURNAL OF TRANSPORTATION ENGINEERING PART B-PAVEMENTS. American Society of Civil Engineers. 2019, Vol. 145, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1061/JPEODX.0000099
- Cheng C, Zhang L, Thompson R. Reliability analysis of road networks in disaster waste management. WASTE MANAGEMENT. Pergamon. 2019, Vol. 84. DOI: 10.1016/j.wasman.2018.11.027
- Kaviani Arani A, Thompson R, Rajabifard A, Sarvi M. A model for multi-class road network recovery scheduling of regional road networks. Transportation. Springer. 2018. DOI: 10.1007/s11116-017-9852-5
- Iwan S, Kijewska K, Johansen BG, Eidhammer O, Malecki K, Konicki W, Thompson R. Analysis of the environmental impacts of unloading bays based on cellular automata simulation. TRANSPORTATION RESEARCH PART D-TRANSPORT AND ENVIRONMENT. Elsevier. 2018, Vol. 61. DOI: 10.1016/j.trd.2017.03.020
- Yang S, Hu F, Thompson R, Wang W, Li Y, Li S, Ni W. Criticality ranking for components of a transportation network at risk from tropical cyclones. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF DISASTER RISK REDUCTION. Elsevier BV. 2018, Vol. 28. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijdrr.2018.02.017
- Cheng C, Zhang L, Thompson R. Disaster waste clean-up system performance subject to time-dependent disaster waste accumulation. NATURAL HAZARDS. Kluwer Academic Publishers. 2018, Vol. 91, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1007/s11069-017-3151-5
- Saghapour T, Moridpour S, Thompson R. Enhancing active transport demand Modelling by incorporating accessibility measures. CITIES. Elsevier. 2018, Vol. 78. DOI: 10.1016/j.cities.2018.02.015
- Kaviani Arani A, Thompson R, Rajabifard A, Sarvi M. Hybrid machine learning and optimisation method to solve a tri-level road network protection problem. 25th World Congress on Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS). Institution of Engineering and Technology. 2018, Vol. 12, Issue 9. DOI: 10.1049/iet-its.2018.5168
- Thompson R, Zhang L. Optimising courier routes in central city areas. TRANSPORTATION RESEARCH PART C-EMERGING TECHNOLOGIES. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 93. DOI: 10.1016/j.trc.2018.05.016
- Cheng C, Zhang L, Thompson R. Reliability analysis for disaster waste management systems. WASTE MANAGEMENT. Pergamon. 2018, Vol. 78. DOI: 10.1016/j.wasman.2018.05.011
- Saghapour T, Moridpour S, Thompson R. Sustainable transport in neighbourhoods: effect of accessibility on walking and bicycling. Transportmetrica A: Transport Science. Taylor & Francis Ltd. 2018. DOI: 10.1080/23249935.2018.1540502
- Aljohani K, Thompson R. The impacts of relocating a logistics facility on last food miles - The case of Melbourne's fruit & vegetable wholesale market. CASE STUDIES ON TRANSPORT POLICY. Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 6, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1016/j.cstp.2018.03.007
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile