Professor Colin Duffield
- Infrastructure Procurement (Private financing)
- Risk Management and Procurement (Contracts, delivery systems)
- Structural Dynamics (High Rise, domestic)
Colin is Professor of Engineering Project Management and Civil Engineering Discipline Leader in the Department of Infrastructure Engineering, at The University of Melbourne. He is also a Board member of Infrastructure Australia and a Fellow of the Law School (where he delivers a master level unit in infrastructure procurement). He is a recognised international thought leader in the efficient procurement of public infrastructure and the incorporation of private finance as a mechanism for achieving value for money outcomes.
Colin has extensive experience in the governance of long term contracts and the interaction between policy, technical matters, risk management, financing and contractual arrangements. This expertise has been gained through: an involvement in infrastructure delivery for public and private clients (both as a practitioner and researcher); work on policy via secondment to Treasury and Finance, Victoria; as an adviser to projects on risk and project structuring; as an expert witness; and as an independent reviewer and researcher of major engineering contracts.
Colin’s research has been widely cited in Australia and Internationally by industry, government and peak independent commentators.
- Wang S, Shen W, Tang W, Wang Y, Duffield C, Hui K. Understanding the social network of stakeholders in hydropower project development: An owners’ view. Renewable Energy. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2019, Vol. 132. DOI: 10.1016/j.renene.2018.07.137
- Wu S, Huang S, Wei Y, Duffield C, Tang W, Zhao Y, Zheng H. A longitudinal analysis on the perspectives of major world newspapers on the Three Gorges Dam project during 1982-2015. WATER SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY-WATER SUPPLY. IWA Publishing. 2018, Vol. 18, Issue 1. DOI: 10.2166/ws.2017.088
- Saeed AM, Duffield C, Hui K. An enhanced framework for assessing the operational performance of public-private partnership school projects. BUILT ENVIRONMENT PROJECT AND ASSET MANAGEMENT. Emerald Group Publishing Limited. 2018, Vol. 8, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1108/BEPAM-07-2017-0041
- Hui K, Duffield C, Wahyuni S, Parikesit D, Wilson S. Collaborative international industry-university research training in infrastructure projects: An Australian-Indonesian case study.. 42nd AUBEA Conference 2018. Curtin University of Technology. 2018.
- Sofi M, Lumantarna E, Zhong A, Mendis P, Duffield C, Barnes R. Determining dynamic characteristics of high rise buildings using interferometric radar system. ENGINEERING STRUCTURES. Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 164. DOI: 10.1016/j.engstruct.2018.02.084
- Maizuar, Lumantarna E, Sofi M, Oktavianus Y, Zhang L, Duffield C, Mendis P, Widyastuti H. Dynamic behavior of Indonesian bridges using interferometric radar technology. Electronic Journal of Structural Engineering. Electronic Journal of Structural Engineering International. 2018, Vol. 18, Issue 1.
- Duffield C. Foreword. Electronic Journal of Structural Engineering. Electronic Journal of Structural Engineering International. 2018, Vol. 18, Issue 1.
- Miramini S, Sofi M, Aseem A, Baluwala A, Zhang L, Mendis P, Duffield C. Health assessment of a pedestrian bridge deck using ground penetrating radar. Electronic Journal of Structural Engineering. Electronic Journal of Structural Engineering International. 2018, Vol. 18, Issue 1.
- Ngo D, Susiswo H, Duffield C, Mendis P, Ghazlan A. Identification of the risk of blast-induced glass window failure in a complex environment. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF PROTECTIVE STRUCTURES. Multi-Science Publishing. 2018, Vol. 9, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1177/2041419617748659
- Saeed A, Duffield C, Hui K. Innovation in publicly operated Public-Private Partnerships. Infrastructure Asset Management. 2018. DOI: 10.1680/jinam.18.00008
- Hui K, Duffield C, Wilson S. Proceedings of the Port Competitiveness and Financing Research Workshop. Port Competitiveness and Financing Research. 2018. Editors: Hui K, Duffield C, Wilson S.
- Al Daghlas H, Hui K, Duffield C. The importance of environmental sustainability to obtain finance for port developments in Australia and Indonesia. 42nd AUBEA Conference 2018: Educating Building Professionals for the Future in the Globalised World, Singapore, 26 Sep 2018 - 28 Sep 2018. Proceedings Editors: Do K, Sutrisna M, Jonescu E, Zaman A. Curtin University, Western Australia. 48-57, 27 Sep 2018. Curtin University of Technology. 2018.
- Currie G, Mareels I, Evans R, Duffield C. Understanding household solar adoption in Australia. http://commercial.unimelb.edu.au/custom-education/search-courses/architecture/zemch2018/program-presenters/program. 2018.
- Zhang X, Tang W, Huang Y, Zhang Q, Duffield C, Li J, Wang E. Understanding the causes of vulnerabilities for enhancing social-physical resilience: lessons from the Wenchuan earthquake. ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS-HUMAN AND POLICY DIMENSIONS. Taylor & Francis Ltd. 2018, Vol. 17, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1080/17477891.2018.1491383
- Wenxin S, Wenzhe T, Siripanan A, Lei Z, Duffield C, Hui K. Understanding the Green Technical Capabilities and Barriers to Green Buildings in Developing Countries: A Case Study of Thailand. Sustainability. 2018, Vol. 10, Issue 10. DOI: 10.3390/su10103585
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile