Professor Colin Duffield
- Infrastructure Procurement (Private financing)
- Risk Management and Procurement (Contracts, delivery systems)
- Structural Dynamics (High Rise, domestic)
Colin is Professor of Engineering Project Management and Civil Engineering Discipline Leader in the Department of Infrastructure Engineering, at The University of Melbourne. He is also a Board member of Infrastructure Australia and a Fellow of the Law School (where he delivers a master level unit in infrastructure procurement). He is a recognised international thought leader in the efficient procurement of public infrastructure and the incorporation of private finance as a mechanism for achieving value for money outcomes.
Colin has extensive experience in the governance of long term contracts and the interaction between policy, technical matters, risk management, financing and contractual arrangements. This expertise has been gained through: an involvement in infrastructure delivery for public and private clients (both as a practitioner and researcher); work on policy via secondment to Treasury and Finance, Victoria; as an adviser to projects on risk and project structuring; as an expert witness; and as an independent reviewer and researcher of major engineering contracts.
Colin’s research has been widely cited in Australia and Internationally by industry, government and peak independent commentators.
- Maizuar M, Zhang L, Miramini S, Mendis P, Duffield C. Structural Health Monitoring of Bridges Using Advanced Non-destructive Testing Technique. Lecture Notes in Civil Engineering. 2020. DOI: 10.1007/978-981-13-7603-0_91
- Sofi M, Oktavianus Y, Lumantarna E, Rajabifard A, Duffield C, Mendis P. Condition assessment of concrete by hybrid non-destructive tests. JOURNAL OF CIVIL STRUCTURAL HEALTH MONITORING. Dr Dietrich Steinkopff Verlag. 2019, Vol. 9, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1007/s13349-019-00336-9
- Hui K, Aye L, Duffield C. Engaging Employees with Good Sustainability: Key Performance Indicators for Dry Ports. SUSTAINABILITY. MDPI AG. 2019, Vol. 11, Issue 10. DOI: 10.3390/su11102967
- Amirsardari A, Sofi M, Lumantarna E, Imran I, Duffield C. Impact of Earthquakes on the Transportation Infrastructure of Indonesia: A Preliminary Study. Civil Engineering Dimension. Universitas Kristen Petra, Institute of Research and Community Outreach. 2019, Vol. 21, Issue 1. DOI: 10.9744/ced.21.1.19-28
- Saeed A, Duffield C, Hui K. Innovation in Australian publicly operated public-private partnerships. INFRASTRUCTURE ASSET MANAGEMENT. ICE Publishing. 2019, Vol. 6, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1680/jinam.18.00008
- Currie G, Evans R, Duffield C, Mareels I. Policy Options to Regulate PV in Low Voltage Grids-Australian Case with International Implications. Technology and Economics of Smart Grids and Sustainable Energy. 2019, Vol. 4, Issue 10. DOI: 10.1007/s40866-019-0066-0
- Kuiper I, Duffield C. Profiling Australian Building Information Modelling (BIM) and policy perspectives for public procurement of infrastructure projects. Working Paper 005. 2019.
- Currie G, Evans R, Duffield C, Mareels I. Temporal Model of the Drivers of Household PV Purchase in Australia. Technology and Economics of Smart Grids and Sustainable Energy. 2019, Vol. 4, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1007/s40866-019-0068-y
- Shen W, Tang W, Siripanan A, Lei Z, Duffield C, Hui K. Understanding the Green Building Industry in Thailand. Green Building in Developing Countries Policy: Strategy and Technology. Springer. 2019. Editors: Gou Z. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-24650-1_9
- Wang S, Shen W, Tang W, Wang Y, Duffield C, Hui K. Understanding the social network of stakeholders in hydropower project development: An owners' view. RENEWABLE ENERGY. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2019, Vol. 132. DOI: 10.1016/j.renene.2018.07.137
- Hui K, Zarei H, Duffield C. Visual Tools for Analyzing and Organizing Engineering Data and Information. Claiming Identity Through Redefined Teaching in Construction Programs. IGI Global. 2019. Editors: Mostafa S, Rahnamayiezekavat P.
- Wu S, Huang S, Wei Y, Duffield C, Tang W, Zhao Y, Zheng H. A longitudinal analysis on the perspectives of major world newspapers on the Three Gorges Dam project during 1982-2015. WATER SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY-WATER SUPPLY. IWA Publishing. 2018, Vol. 18, Issue 1. DOI: 10.2166/ws.2017.088
- Saeed A, Duffield C, Hui K. An enhanced framework for assessing the operational performance of public-private partnership school projects. BUILT ENVIRONMENT PROJECT AND ASSET MANAGEMENT. Emerald Group Publishing Limited. 2018, Vol. 8, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1108/BEPAM-07-2017-0041
- Hui K, Duffield C, Wahyuni S, Parikesit D, Wilson S. Collaborative international industry-university research training in infrastructure projects: An Australian-Indonesian case study.. 42nd AUBEA Conference 2018. Curtin University of Technology. 2018.
- Pelham N, Duffield C. Decision making at the mega project boardroom. EPOC 2018 - Engineering Project Organizations Conference. 2018.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile