Professor Colin Duffield
- Infrastructure Procurement (Private financing)
- Risk Management and Procurement (Contracts, delivery systems)
- Structural Dynamics (High Rise, domestic)
Colin is Professor of Engineering Project Management and Civil Engineering Discipline Leader in the Department of Infrastructure Engineering, at The University of Melbourne. He is also a Board member of Infrastructure Australia and a Fellow of the Law School (where he delivers a master level unit in infrastructure procurement). He is a recognised international thought leader in the efficient procurement of public infrastructure and the incorporation of private finance as a mechanism for achieving value for money outcomes.
Colin has extensive experience in the governance of long term contracts and the interaction between policy, technical matters, risk management, financing and contractual arrangements. This expertise has been gained through: an involvement in infrastructure delivery for public and private clients (both as a practitioner and researcher); work on policy via secondment to Treasury and Finance, Victoria; as an adviser to projects on risk and project structuring; as an expert witness; and as an independent reviewer and researcher of major engineering contracts.
Colin’s research has been widely cited in Australia and Internationally by industry, government and peak independent commentators.
- Wu S, Huang S, Wei Y, Duffield C, Tang W, Zhao Y, Zheng H. A longitudinal analysis on the perspectives of major world newspapers on the Three Gorges Dam project during 1982-2015. WATER SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY-WATER SUPPLY. IWA Publishing. 2018, Vol. 18, Issue 1. DOI: 10.2166/ws.2017.088
- Saeed AM, Duffield C, Hui K. An enhanced framework for assessing the operational performance of public-private partnership school projects. Built Environment Project and Asset Management. Emerald Group Publishing Limited. 2018. DOI: 10.1108/BEPAM-07-2017-0041
- Sofi M, Lumantarna E, Zhong A, Mendis P, Duffield C, Barnes R. Determining dynamic characteristics of high rise buildings using interferometric radar system. Engineering Structures. Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 164. DOI: 10.1016/j.engstruct.2018.02.084
- Ngo T, Susiswo HS, Duffield C, Mendis P, Ghazlan A. Identification of the risk of blast-induced glass window failure in a complex environment. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF PROTECTIVE STRUCTURES. Multi-Science Publishing. 2018, Vol. 9, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1177/2041419617748659
- Hui FKP, Duffield C, Wilson S. Proceedings of the Port Competitiveness and Financing Research Workshop. Port Competitiveness and Financing Research. 2018. Editors: Hui K, Duffield C, Wilson S.
- Currie G, Mareels I, Evans R, Duffield C. Understanding household solar adoption in Australia. http://commercial.unimelb.edu.au/custom-education/search-courses/architecture/zemch2018/program-presenters/program. 2018.
- Hodge G, Boulot E, Duffield C, Greve C. After the Ribbon Cutting: Governing PPPs in the Medium to Long Term. AUSTRALIAN JOURNAL OF PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Asia. 2017, Vol. 76, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1111/1467-8500.12239
- Sofi M, Lumantarna E, Mendis P, Duffield C, Rajabifard A. Assessment of a pedestrian bridge dynamics using interferometric radar system IBIS-FS. 6th Asia-Pacific Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring (APWSHM). Elsevier BV. 2017, Vol. 188. Editors: Chiu WK, Galea S, Mita A, Takeda N. DOI: 10.1016/j.proeng.2017.04.454
- Shen W, Tang W, Yu W, Duffield C, Hui K, Wei Y, Fang J. CAUSES OF CONTRACTORS' CLAIMS IN INTERNATIONAL ENGINEERING-PROCUREMENT-CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS. JOURNAL OF CIVIL ENGINEERING AND MANAGEMENT. Vilniaus Gedimino Technikos Universitetas, Leidykla Technika. 2017, Vol. 23, Issue 6. DOI: 10.3846/13923730.2017.1281839
- Atmo GU, Duffield C, Zhang L, Wilson D. Comparative performance of PPPs and traditional procurement projects in Indonesia. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF PUBLIC SECTOR MANAGEMENT. Emerald Group Publishing Limited. 2017, Vol. 30, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1108/IJPSM-02-2016-0047
- Ryan P, Duffield C. Contractor Performance on MEGA Projects – Avoiding the pitfalls. EPOC-MW Conference. Engineering Project Organization Society. 2017. Editors: Mahalingam A, Shealy T, Gil N.
- Shen W, Tang W, Siripanan A, Lei Z, Duffield C, Wilson D, Hui K, Wei Y. Critical Success Factors in Thailand's Green Building Industry. JOURNAL OF ASIAN ARCHITECTURE AND BUILDING ENGINEERING. Architectural Institute of Japan. 2017, Vol. 16, Issue 2. DOI: 10.3130/jaabe.16.317
- Duffield C, Wilson D. Delivering Australian Roads with PPPs– Global management of business risks. People and Places in Project Management Research. 2017. Editors: Young M.
- Sofi M, Lumantarna E, Duffield C, Mendis P. Effects of Interior Partition Walls on Natural Period of High Rise Buildings. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF STRUCTURAL STABILITY AND DYNAMICS. World Scientific Publishing Co. 2017, Vol. 17, Issue 6. DOI: 10.1142/S0219455417710067
- Shen W, Tang W, Wang S, Duffield C, Hui K, You R. Enhancing Trust-Based Interface Management in International Engineering-Procurement-Construction Projects. JOURNAL OF CONSTRUCTION ENGINEERING AND MANAGEMENT. ASCE - American Society of Civil Engineers. 2017, Vol. 143, Issue 9. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)CO.1943-7862.0001351
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile