Associate Professor Rory Nathan
- engineering hydrology (modelling, environmental, risk, yield, land-use change, climate change)
Rory Nathan has over 35 years’ experience in engineering and environmental hydrology. He has spent the majority of his career in private industry, and now focuses his time on research and teaching in the Department of Infrastructure Engineering. He has made a substantial contribution to industry best practice in a range of engineering and environmental fields, particularly in the use of stochastic methods of flood estimation, the characterisation of hydrologic risk, regional estimation techniques in catchment hydrology, and the assessment of sustainable limits on water resources. He is a co-editor and contributing author of the current national guidelines on flood estimation, and for many years he was Australia’s representative on the International Committee of Large Dams floods committee and a member of the hydrology sub-committee of the NSW Dams Safety Council. He has published around 200 research papers on engineering and environmental hydrology in journals, books, and refereed conference proceedings. His research publications have won several national and international awards, including four medals awarded by Engineers Australia for the best annual paper in civil engineering. In 2000 he was awarded national "Civil Engineer of the Year" by Engineers Australia, and in 2009 he was recognised as one of Australia’s “Most Influential Engineers”.
- Henley B, Peel M, Nathan R, King A, Ukkola AM, Karoly D, Tan KS. Amplification of risks to water supply at 1.5°C and 2°C in drying climates: a case study for Melbourne, Australia. Environmental Research Letters. Institute of Physics Publishing. 2019, Vol. 14, Issue 8. DOI: 10.1088/1748-9326/ab26ef
- Acharya S, Nathan R, Wang Q, Su C, Eizenberg N. An evaluation of daily precipitation from a regional atmospheric reanalysis over Australia. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences. Copernicus GmBH. 2019, Vol. 23, Issue 8. DOI: 10.5194/hess-23-3387-2019
- Nathan R, McMahon T, Peel M, Horne A. Assessing the degree of hydrologic stress due to climate change. Climatic Change: an interdisciplinary, international journal devoted to the description, causes and implications of climatic change. Kluwer Academic Publishers. 2019, Vol. 156, Issue 1-2. DOI: 10.1007/s10584-019-02497-4
- Scorah M, Stephens D, Nathan R. Benchmarking the selection of probability neutral hydrologic design floods for use in 2D hydraulic models. Australian Journal of Water Resources. Institution of Engineers Australia. 2019. DOI: 10.1080/13241583.2019.1603334
- Kaur S, Horne A, Nathan R, Szemis J, Gibson L, MacHado Costa A, Webb J, Stewardson M. Examining Trade-Offs in Piggybacking Flow Events while Making Environmental Release Decisions in a River System. Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management. American Society of Civil Engineers. 2019, Vol. 145, Issue 6. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0001048
- Wasko C, Nathan R. Influence of changes in rainfall and soil moisture on trends in flooding. Journal of Hydrology. Elsevier Science. 2019, Vol. 575. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2019.05.054
- Horne A, Nathan R, Poff NL, Bond NR, Webb J, Wang J, John A. Modeling Flow-Ecology Responses in the Anthropocene: Challenges for Sustainable Riverine Management. BIOSCIENCE. American Institute of Biological Sciences. 2019, Vol. 69, Issue 10. DOI: 10.1093/biosci/biz087
- Wasko C, Nathan R. The local dependency of precipitation on historical changes in temperature. CLIMATIC CHANGE. Kluwer Academic Publishers. 2019, Vol. 156, Issue 1-2. DOI: 10.1007/s10584-019-02523-5
- Parker D, Lowe L, Rave D, Nathan R, Stacey M. A changing flow regime in southern Victoria. 2018 Hydrology and Water Resources Symposium, HWRS 2018: Water and Communities. 2018.
- Horne A, Kaur S, Szemis J, MacHado Costa A, Nathan R, Webb J, Stewardson M, Boland N. Active Management of Environmental Water to Improve Ecological Outcomes. JOURNAL OF WATER RESOURCES PLANNING AND MANAGEMENT. American Society of Civil Engineers. 2018, Vol. 144, Issue 12. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0000991
- O’shea D, Nathan R, Hill P. Another step on the difficult journey to regionalise a probability-based loss model. 2018 Hydrology and Water Resources Symposium, HWRS 2018: Water and Communities. 2018.
- Wang J, Nathan R, Horne A. Assessing the Impact of Climate Change on Environmental Outcomes in the Context of Natural Climate Variability. JOURNAL OF WATER RESOURCES PLANNING AND MANAGEMENT. American Society of Civil Engineers. 2018, Vol. 144, Issue 12. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)WR.1943-5452.0001008
- Scorah M, Stephens D, Nathan R. Benchmarking the selection of probability neutral hydrologic design floods for use in 2D hydraulic models. 2018 Hydrology and Water Resources Symposium, HWRS 2018: Water and Communities. 2018.
- Lang S, Zhang J, Scorah M, Nathan R, Pearse M. Characterising the location and rarity of annual maxima rainfall in the GTSM-R coastal zone. 2018 Hydrology and Water Resources Symposium, HWRS 2018: Water and Communities. 2018.
- Horne A, Szemis J, Webb J, Kaur S, Stewardson M, Bond N, Nathan R. Informing Environmental Water Management Decisions: Using Conditional Probability Networks to Address the Information Needs of Planning and Implementation Cycles. ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT. Springer. 2018, Vol. 61, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1007/s00267-017-0874-8
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile