Dr Saeed Miramini
- Computational Mechanics
- Mechanobiology (Bone Fracture Healing, Cartilage Biomechanics)
- Multiphase Porous Media Modelling (Solute and reactive transport in porous media (human tissue, soil, concrete))
- Structural Health Assessment, Engineering Reliability (Non-Destructive Testing of Structures and Materials, Material Characterisation)
Dr Saeed Miramini is a Research Fellow and Teaching Specialist in the Department of Infrastructure Engineering at the University of Melbourne. He obtained his PhD in Biomedical Engineering from the University of Melbourne in 2015. Dr Miramini is a mechanical engineer by background with an extensive experience in multidisciplinary research and teaching. He applies his mechanical and civil engineering knowledge (e.g. Continuum Mechanics, Theory of Porous Media, Engineering Reliability and Non-Destructive Testing Techniques) to study the mechanobiology of bone and cartilage tissues. This innovative approach helps address global challenges associated with osteoporosis and osteoarthritis conditions. By conducting research in biomedical engineering, he also learns from nature and biology to propose innovative solutions to civil engineering problems, such as the development of self-healing concretes.
Dr Miramini has developed an extensive collaboration network within both academia and industry. He works closely with clinicians, medical device manufacturers and infrastructure industries. His specific research interests include computational modelling of bone fracture healing, rehabilitation engineering, cartilage biomechanics, as well as non-destructive health assessment of structures and engineering reliability.
- Ganadhiepan, G.; Miramini, S.; Patel, M.; Mendis, P.; Zhang, L. Bone fracture healing under Ilizarov fixator: influence of fixator configuration, fracture geometry and loading.. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering. Wiley. 2019, pp. e3199-. DOI: 10.1002/cnm.3199
- Liu, L.; Miramini, S.; Hajimohammadi, A. Characterising fundamental properties of foam concrete with a non-destructive technique. Nondestructive Testing and Evaluation. TAYLOR & FRANCIS LTD. 2019, Vol. 34, Issue 1, pp. 54-69. DOI: 10.1080/10589759.2018.1525378
- Sun, D.; Wu, K.; Shi, H.; Miramini, S.; Zhang, L. Deformation behaviour of concrete materials under the sulfate attack. Construction and Building Materials. Elsevier BV. 2019, Vol. 210, pp. 232-241. DOI: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2019.03.050
- Ghimire, S.; Miramini, S.; Richardson, M.; Mendis, P.; Zhang, L. Effects of dynamic loading on fracture healing under different locking compression plate configurations: A finite element study. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials. Elsevier BV. 2019, Vol. 94, pp. 74-85. DOI: 10.1016/j.jmbbm.2019.03.004
- Ganadhiepan, G.; Zhang, L.; Miramini, S.; Mendis, P.; Patel, M.; Ebeling, P.; Wang, Y. The Effects of Dynamic Loading on Bone Fracture Healing Under Ilizarov Circular Fixators. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering. ASME. 2019, Vol. 141, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1115/1.4043037
- Liao, J.; Smith, DW.; Miramini, S.; Thibbotuwawa, N.; Gardiner, BS.; Zhang, L. The investigation of fluid flow in cartilage contact gap. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials. Elsevier BV. 2019, Vol. 95, pp. 153-164. DOI: 10.1016/j.jmbbm.2019.04.008
- Miramini, S.; Sofi, M.; Aseem, A.; Baluwala, A.; Zhang, L.; Mendis, P.; Duffield, C. Health Assessment of a Pedestrian Bridge Deck using Ground Penetrating Radar. Electronic Journal of Structural Engineering. EJSE INT LTD. 2018, Vol. 18, Issue 1, pp. 30-37.
- Shanshan, G.; Wang, Y.; Wang, K.; Long, J.; Lv, X.; Huang, Z.; Yang, Y.; Miramini, S.; Zhang, L. Robot-assisted weight-bearing exercise for stroke patients with limited mobility. Journal of Low Frequency Noise, Vibration and Active Control. SAGE Publications. 2018, pp. 146134841881626-146134841881626. DOI: 10.1177/1461348418816269
- Ghimire, S.; Miramini, S.; Richardson, M.; Mendis, P.; Zhang, L. Role of Dynamic Loading on Early Stage of Bone Fracture Healing. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. SPRINGER. 2018, Vol. 46, Issue 11, pp. 1768-1784. DOI: 10.1007/s10439-018-2083-x
- Miramini, S.; Zhang, L.; Richardson, M.; Mendis, P. The Role of Locking Plate Stiffness in Bone Fracture Healing Stabilized by Far Cortical Locking Technique. International Journal of Computational Methods. WORLD SCIENTIFIC PUBL CO PTE LTD. 2018, Vol. 15, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1142/S021987621850024X
- Zhang, L.; Miramini, S.; Richardson, M.; Ebeling, P.; Little, D.; Yang, Y.; Huang, Z. Computational modelling of bone fracture healing under partial weight-bearing exercise. Medical Engineering & Physics. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2017, Vol. 42, pp. 65-72. DOI: 10.1016/j.medengphy.2017.01.025
- Maizuar, M.; Zhang, L.; Miramini, S.; Mendis, P.; Thompson, RG. Detecting structural damage to bridge girders using radar interferometry and computational modelling. Structural Control and Health Monitoring. WILEY. 2017, Vol. 24, Issue 10. DOI: 10.1002/stc.1985
- Zhang, L.; Miramini, S.; Richardson, M.; Mendis, P.; Ebeling, P. The role of impairment of mesenchymal stem cell function in osteoporotic bone fracture healing. Australasian Physical & Engineering Sciences in Medicine. SPRINGER. 2017, Vol. 40, Issue 3, pp. 603-610. DOI: 10.1007/s13246-017-0566-y
- Miramini, S.; Smith, DW.; Zhang, L.; Gardiner, BS. The spatio-temporal mechanical environment of healthy and injured human cartilage during sustained activity and its role in cartilage damage. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials. ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV. 2017, Vol. 74, pp. 1-10. DOI: 10.1016/j.jmbbm.2017.05.018
- Miramini, S.; Zhang, L.; Richardson, M.; Mendis, P.; Ebeling, PR. Influence of fracture geometry on bone healing under locking plate fixations: A comparison between oblique and transverse tibial fractures. Medical Engineering & Physics. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2016, Vol. 38, Issue 10, pp. 1100-1108. DOI: 10.1016/j.medengphy.2016.07.007
- Miramini, S.; Zhang, L.; Richardson, M.; Mendis, P.; Oloyede, A.; Ebeling, P. The relationship between interfragmentary movement and cell differentiation in early fracture healing under locking plate fixation. Australasian Physical & Engineering Sciences in Medicine. SPRINGER. 2016, Vol. 39, Issue 1, pp. 123-133. DOI: 10.1007/s13246-015-0407-9
- Miramini, S.; Zhang, L.; Richardson, M.; Pirpiris, M.; Mendis, P.; Oloyede, K.; Edwards, G. Computational simulation of the early stage of bone healing under different configurations of locking compression plates. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering. TAYLOR & FRANCIS LTD. 2015, Vol. 18, Issue 8, pp. 900-913. DOI: 10.1080/10255842.2013.855729
- Zhang, L.; Miramini, S.; Mendis, P.; Richardson, M. Osteoporotic bone fracture healing under the locking compression plate system. . Scientech Publisher. 2015.
- Zhang, L.; Miramini, S.; Smith, DW.; Gardiner, BS.; Grodzinsky, AJ. Time Evolution of Deformation in a Human Cartilage Under Cyclic Loading. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. SPRINGER. 2015, Vol. 43, Issue 5, pp. 1166-1177. DOI: 10.1007/s10439-014-1164-8
- Miramini, S.; Zhang, L.; Richardson, M.; Mendis, PA. Computational simulation of mechanical microenvironment of early stage of bone healing under locking compression plate with dynamic locking screws. Applied Mechanics and Materials. Trans Tech Publications. 2014, Vol. 553, pp. 281-286. DOI: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.553.281
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile