Associate Professor Russell Thompson
- Disaster Management
- Transport Engineering
- Transport Modelling
- Urban Freight
Russell is an Associate Professor in Transport Engineering in the Department of Infrastructure Engineering at the University of Melbourne in Australia. His research areas are urban freight, resilient transport systems and intelligent transport systems.
He has over 15 years of experience in urban freight research. Russell has been involved in a number of local and international studies relating to urban freight, including the European Union’s Best Urban Freight Solutions (BESTUFS) project and the OECD report on urban distribution.
Russell was a founding Director and has been the Vice President of the Institute for City Logistics based in Kyoto since 1999. He is also a Team Leader of the Volvo Research and Education Foundation’s Centre of Excellence in Sustainable Urban Freight Systems. He has been involved in several studies that have estimated the economic, environmental and safety benefits of performance based standards. Russell has published over 10 books and 50 refereed publications in the field of urban freight. He is currently involved in a number of projects involving autonomous freight vehicles.
Russell leads the Transport research program in the Centre of Disaster Management and Public Safety (CDMPS) and coordinates projects relating to the disruption and recovery of traffic networks, traffic guidance systems and humanitarian logistics.
- Aljohani, K.; Thompson, RG. A Stakeholder-Based Evaluation of the Most Suitable and Sustainable Delivery Fleet for Freight Consolidation Policies in the Inner-City Area. Sustainability. MDPI. 2019, Vol. 11, Issue 1. DOI: 10.3390/su11010124
- Zhang, Y.; Jiang, Y.; Rui, W.; Thompson, RG. Analyzing truck fleets' acceptance of alternative fuel freight vehicles in China. Renewable Energy. PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD. 2019, Vol. 134, pp. 1148-1155. DOI: 10.1016/j.renene.2018.09.016
- Saghapour, T.; Moridpour, S.; Thompson, RG. Estimating walking access levels incorporating distance thresholds of built environment features. International Journal of Sustainable Transportation. TAYLOR & FRANCIS INC. 2019, Vol. 13, Issue 1, pp. 1-14. DOI: 10.1080/15568318.2017.1380245
- Ren, J.; Thompson, RG.; Zhang, L. Impact of Payload Spectra of Heavy Vehicles on Pavement Based on Weigh-in-Motion Data. Journal of Transportation Engineering, Part B: Pavements. ASCE-AMER SOC CIVIL ENGINEERS. 2019, Vol. 145, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1061/JPEODX.0000099
- Cheng, C.; Zhang, L.; Thompson, RG. Reliability analysis of road networks in disaster waste management. Waste Management. PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD. 2019, Vol. 84, pp. 383-393. DOI: 10.1016/j.wasman.2018.11.027
- Kaviani, A.; Thompson, RG.; Rajabifard, A.; Sarvi, M. A model for multi-class road network recovery scheduling of regional road networks. Transportation. Springer Nature. 2018, pp. 1-35. DOI: 10.1007/s11116-017-9852-5
- Iwan, S.; Kijewska, K.; Johansen, BG.; Eidhammer, O.; Malecki, K.; Konicki, W.; Thompson, RG. Analysis of the environmental impacts of unloading bays based on cellular automata simulation. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment. PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD. 2018, Vol. 61, pp. 104-117. DOI: 10.1016/j.trd.2017.03.020
- Yang, S.; Hu, F.; Thompson, RG.; Wang, W.; Li, Y.; Li, S.; Ni, W. Criticality ranking for components of a transportation network at risk from tropical cyclones. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction. ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV. 2018, Vol. 28, pp. 43-55. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijdrr.2018.02.017
- Cheng, C.; Zhang, L.; Thompson, RG. Disaster waste clean-up system performance subject to time-dependent disaster waste accumulation. Natural Hazards. SPRINGER. 2018, Vol. 91, Issue 2, pp. 717-734. DOI: 10.1007/s11069-017-3151-5
- Saghapour, T.; Moridpour, S.; Thompson, RG. Enhancing active transport demand Modelling by incorporating accessibility measures. Cities. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2018, Vol. 78, pp. 206-215. DOI: 10.1016/j.cities.2018.02.015
- Kaviani, A.; Thompson, RG.; Rajabifard, A.; Sarvi, M. Hybrid machine learning and optimisation method to solve a tri-level road network protection problem. IET Intelligent Transport Systems. INST ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY-IET. 2018, Vol. 12, Issue 9, pp. 1011-1019. DOI: 10.1049/iet-its.2018.5168
- Thompson, RG.; Zhang, L. Optimising courier routes in central city areas. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies. PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD. 2018, Vol. 93, pp. 1-12. DOI: 10.1016/j.trc.2018.05.016
- Thompson, RG.; Zhang, L.; Stokoe, M. Optimizing Courier Routes in Central Business Districts. . John Wiley & Sons, Inc.. 2018, pp. 325-341. DOI: 10.1002/9781119425519.ch17
- Cheng, C.; Zhang, L.; Thompson, RG. Reliability analysis for disaster waste management systems. Waste Management. PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD. 2018, Vol. 78, pp. 31-42. DOI: 10.1016/j.wasman.2018.05.011
- Saghapour, T.; Moridpour, S.; Thompson, R. Sustainable transport in neighbourhoods: effect of accessibility on walking and bicycling. Transportmetrica A: Transport Science. Informa UK Limited. 2018, Vol. 15, Issue 2, pp. 849-871. DOI: 10.1080/23249935.2018.1540502
- Aljohani, K.; Thompson, RG. The impacts of relocating a logistics facility on last food miles - The case of Melbourne's fruit & vegetable wholesale market. Case Studies on Transport Policy. ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV. 2018, Vol. 6, Issue 2, pp. 279-288. DOI: 10.1016/j.cstp.2018.03.007
- Kumar, C.; Vijayaraghavan, T.; Chakraborty, A.; Thompson, RG. Urban Freight Regulations: How much they cost the consumers?. Transportation Research Procedia. Elsevier BV. 2018, Vol. 30, pp. 373-383. DOI: 10.1016/j.trpro.2018.09.040
- Sugiyama, T.; Cole, R.; Thompson, R.; Sahlqvist, S.; De Sa, TH.; Carver, A.; Astell-burt, T. Area-level socio-economic disparities in active and sedentary transport: Investigating the role of population density in Australia. Journal of Transport & Health. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2017, Vol. 6, pp. 282-288. DOI: 10.1016/j.jth.2017.04.009
- Maizuar, M.; Zhang, L.; Miramini, S.; Mendis, P.; Thompson, RG. Detecting structural damage to bridge girders using radar interferometry and computational modelling. Structural Control and Health Monitoring. WILEY. 2017, Vol. 24, Issue 10. DOI: 10.1002/stc.1985
- Bagloee, SA.; Sarvi, M.; Thompson, RG.; Rajabifard, A. Identifying Achilles-heel roads in real-sized networks. Journal of Modern Transportation. SPRINGER HEIDELBERG. 2017, Vol. 25, Issue 1, pp. 1-11. DOI: 10.1007/s40534-016-0121-7
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile