Professor Nelson Lam
- Performance modelling of infrastructure in extreme events (seismic impact collision)
Nelson Lam is Professor in Department of Infrastructure Engineering at The University of Melbourne. He has 35 years of experience in structural engineering, and has been working in the specialized field of earthquake engineering, impact dynamics and structural dynamics. He is member of the standing committee for future revisions to the Australian standard for seismic actions; member of the four experts panel commissioned to give advice over the drafting of the National Annex to Eurocode 8 on the seismic design of building structures for Malaysia, and also member of the Seismic and Dynamic Events Panel commissioned by the London Headquarter of The Institution of Structural Engineers. His achievement in research in this field was recognized by the award of the Chapman Medal (1999) and Warren Medal (2006) by Engineers Australia; the Best Paper Award (2004-2007) by the ISET Journal of Earthquake Technology; and Chapman Medal for the second time in 2010. He is also recipient of Award for Teaching Excellence given out by Engineers Australia in 2012 and Academic Staff Teaching Award by Melbourne School of Engineering in 2013. His early career as structural engineer was with Scott Wilson International throughout the 1980’s and attained British chartered engineer status during that period. He was awarded the degree of BSc in civil engineering with first class honours at the University of Leeds, England in 1981, MSc degree in concrete structures at Imperial College of Science & Technology, London in 1982 and PhD in earthquake engineering at the University of Melbourne in 1993.
- Yong, ACY.; Lam, C.; Lam, NTK.; Perera, JS.; Kwan, JSH. Analytical Solution for Estimating Sliding Displacement of Rigid Barriers Subjected to Boulder Impact. Journal of Engineering Mechanics. ASCE-AMER SOC CIVIL ENGINEERS. 2019, Vol. 145, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0001576
- Saifullah, I.; Gad, E.; Shahi, R.; Wilson, J.; Lam, N.; Watson, K. Behaviour of plasterboard-lined steel-framed ceiling diaphragms. Thin-Walled Structures. Elsevier. 2019, Vol. 141, pp. 1-14. DOI: 10.1016/j.tws.2019.04.013
- Majeed, ZZA.; Lam, NTK.; Lam, C.; Gad, E.; Kwan, JSH. Contact force generated by impact of boulder on concrete surface. International Journal of Impact Engineering. Elsevier BV. 2019, Vol. 132, pp. 103324-103324. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2019.103324
- Al Abadi, H.; Paton-cole, V.; Gad, E.; Lam, N.; Patel, V. Rocking Behavior of Irregular Free-Standing Objects Subjected to Earthquake Motion. Journal of Earthquake Engineering. TAYLOR & FRANCIS LTD. 2019, Vol. 23, Issue 5, pp. 793-809. DOI: 10.1080/13632469.2017.1342305
- Sun, J.; Lam, N.; Zhang, L.; Ruan, D.; Gad, E. A note on Hunt and Crossley model with generalized visco-elastic damping. International Journal of Impact Engineering. PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD. 2018, Vol. 121, pp. 151-156. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2018.07.007
- Tang, Y.; Lam, N.; Tsang, H-H. A Review of GMPEs that Have Been Proposed for Use in South-eastern Australia by Comparison with MMI Data. . Australian Earthquake Engineering Society. 2018.
- Yacoubian, M.; Lam, N.; Lumantarna, E.; Wilson, JL. A simplified design approach for modelling shear force demand on tower walls supported on a transfer structure in regions of lower seismicity. Earthquake and Structures. TECHNO-PRESS. 2018, Vol. 15, Issue 1, pp. 97-111. DOI: 10.12989/eas.2018.15.1.097
- Hu, Y.; Lumantarna, E.; Lam, N.; Menegon, S.; Wilson, J. Development of a Soil Site Ground Motion Database for Australian Seismic Structural Design. . Australian Earthquake Engineering Society. 2018.
- Lam, NTK.; Menegon, SJ.; Wilson, JL.; Gad, EF. Development of Simple and Transparent Non-Linear Analysis Methods for RC Walls. . The Australian Earthquake Engineering Society. 2018.
- Tiwari, R.; Lam, N.; Lumantarna, E. Displacement based seismic assessment of cantilever retaining walls. . Australian Earthquake Engineering Society. 2018.
- Lam, NTK.; Yong, ACY.; Lam, C.; Kwan, JSH.; Perera, JS.; Disfani, MM.; Gad, E. Displacement-Based Approach for the Assessment of Overturning Stability of Rectangular Rigid Barriers Subjected to Point Impact. Journal of Engineering Mechanics. ASCE-AMER SOC CIVIL ENGINEERS. 2018, Vol. 144, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0001383
- Godbole, S.; Lam, N.; Mafas, M.; Fernando, S.; Gad, E.; Hashemi, J. Dynamic loading on a prefabricated modular unit of a building during road transportation. Journal of Building Engineering. ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV. 2018, Vol. 18, pp. 260-269. DOI: 10.1016/j.jobe.2018.03.017
- Lumantarna, E.; Lam, N.; Tsang, HH.; Wilson, J.; Gad, E.; Goldsworthy, H. Fragility Curves for Limited Ductile Reinforced Concrete Buildings. . Australian Earthquake Engineering Society. 2018.
- Pathirana, M.; Lam, N.; Perera, S.; Zhang, L.; Gad, E.; Aye, L. High strength structural glass for walk-on photovoltaic modules. . ZEMCH Network. 2018, pp. 557-566.
- Lumantarna, E.; Lam, N.; Wilson, J. Methods of analysis for buildings with uni-axial and bi-axial asymmetry in regions of lower seismicity. Earthquake and Structures. TECHNO-PRESS. 2018, Vol. 15, Issue 1, pp. 81-95. DOI: 10.12989/eas.2018.15.1.081
- Lam, C.; Yong, ACY.; Kwan, JSH.; Lam, NTK. Overturning stability of L-shaped rigid barriers subjected to rockfall impacts. Landslides. SPRINGER HEIDELBERG. 2018, Vol. 15, Issue 7, pp. 1347-1357. DOI: 10.1007/s10346-018-0957-5
- Perera, S.; Lam, N.; Pathirana, M.; Zhang, L.; Ruan, D.; Gad, E. Probabilistic modelling of forces of hail. Natural Hazards. SPRINGER. 2018, Vol. 91, Issue 1, pp. 133-153. DOI: 10.1007/s11069-017-3117-7
- Pathirana, M.; Lam, N.; Perera, S.; Zhang, L.; Ruan, D.; Gad, E. Probabilistic modelling of Hertzian fracture of glass by flying objects impact in bad weather. International Journal of Impact Engineering. Elsevier. 2018, Vol. 118, pp. 11-23. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2018.03.010
- Menegon, SJ.; Wilson, JL.; Lam, NTK.; Mcbean, P. RC walls in Australia: seismic design and detailing to AS 1170.4 and AS 3600. Australian Journal of Structural Engineering. TAYLOR & FRANCIS AS. 2018, Vol. 19, Issue 1, pp. 67-84. DOI: 10.1080/13287982.2017.1410309
- Kwan, JSH.; Lam, HWK.; Ng, CWW.; Lam, NTK.; Chan, SL.; Yiu, J.; Cheuk, JCY. Recent technical advancement in natural terrain landslide risk mitigation measures in Hong Kong. HKIE Transactions. The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers. 2018, Vol. 25, Issue 2, pp. 90-101. DOI: 10.1080/1023697X.2018.1462105
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile