Associate Professor Guillermo Narsilio
- Geotechnical Engineering and Soil Science (geothermal energy)
- Geotechnical Technology
- Geothermal Energy
- Material Characterization (porous media, granular media, soils)
- Numerical modelling
Dr Guillermo Narsilio is an Australian Research Council (ARC) Future Fellow (and Associate Professor), and a member of the ARC College of Experts, in the Department of Infrastructure Engineering at The University of Melbourne.
He received his PhD in Geotechnical Engineering (2006) and his Masters in Mathematics (2006) and in Geotechnical Engineering (2003) from Georgia Institute of Technology (USA). He obtained his Diploma in Civil Engineering from the National University of Cordoba (Argentina) in 2001. He is the first and only Australian to have received the ISSMGE Outstanding Young Geotechnical Engineer Award, an honour given only every 4 years by the International Society of Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE) among geotechnical engineers and researchers worldwide. He co-authored a keynote paper with his former supervisor Prof Carlos Santamarina, considered one of the world's top geotechnical researchers, and another keynote paper with Prof Ian Johnston, well recognised in Australasia and the world. Narsilio did his postdoctoral experience at The University of Melbourne, guided by Prof David Smith, he became a Lecturer at the Melbourne School of Engineering in 2009, a Senior Lecturer in 2011, and he is now an Associate Professor. Narsilio has made important contributions to methane hydrates bearing sediments physical characterisation (this work was lead by Prof Santamarina, Prof Ruppel and Asst/Prof Yun, and has high impact in methane hydrates behaviour and extraction modelling, to use methane hydrates as an alternative energy source); multi-scale hydro-thermal conduction and diffusion geo-phenomena; and theoretical and numerical investigations of the chemo-mechanical properties of electrically charged porous materials (clays, shales, etc). In 2009, Narsilio was awarded (i) a Australian Postdoctoral Award (APD), by the ARC; and (ii) the inaugural Jack Morgan Award for outstanding contributions by a young geotechnical engineer to geomechanics in Victoria, by the Australian Geomechanics Society. Dr Narsilio's research interests include numerical modelling, multi-scale porous material characterisation and performance and the (sustainable) energy industry. He and a group of researchers at the Melbourne Energy Institute (Prof Ian Johnston, A/Prof Lu Aye, among others) are pursuing further research on basic and applied shallow and deep geothermal energy systems.
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Orangi, A.; Narsilio, GA.; Ryu, D. A Laboratory Study on Non-Invasive Soil Water Content Estimation Using Capacitive Based Sensors. Sensors. MDPI. 2019, Vol. 19, Issue 3. DOI: 10.3390/s19030651
- Aditya, GR.; Narsilio, GA.; Johnston, IW.; Disfani, MM. Full-scale instrumented residential ground source heat pump systems in Melbourne, Australia. Springer Series in Geomechanics and Geoengineering. Springer International Publishing. 2019, Issue 217729, pp. 185-191. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-99670-7_24
- Makasis, N.; Narsilio, GA.; Bidarmaghz, A.; Johnston, IW. The application of retaining walls and slabs as energy structures in underground train stations. Springer Series in Geomechanics and Geoengineering. Springer International Publishing. 2019, Issue 217729, pp. 43-50. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-99670-7_6
- Van Der Linden, JH.; Sufian, A.; Narsilio, GA.; Russell, AR.; Tordesillas, A. A computational geometry approach to pore network construction for granular packings. Computers & Geosciences. PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD. 2018, Vol. 112, pp. 133-143. DOI: 10.1016/j.cageo.2017.12.004
- Makasis, N.; Narsilio, GA.; Bidarmaghz, A. A machine learning approach to energy pile design. Computers and Geotechnics. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2018, Vol. 97, pp. 189-203. DOI: 10.1016/j.compgeo.2018.01.011
- Makasis, N.; Narsilio, GA.; Bidarmaghz, A. A robust prediction model approach to energy geo-structure design. Computers and Geotechnics. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2018, Vol. 104, pp. 140-151. DOI: 10.1016/j.compgeo.2018.08.012
- Makasis, N.; Narsilio, GA.; Bidarmaghz, A.; Johnston, IW. Carrier fluid temperature data in vertical ground heat exchangers with a varying pipe separation. Data in Brief. ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV. 2018, Vol. 18, pp. 1466-1470. DOI: 10.1016/j.dib.2018.04.005
- Narsilio, GA. Editorial. Environmental Geotechnics. ICE PUBLISHING. 2018, Vol. 5, Issue 5, pp. 247-248. DOI: 10.1680/jenge.2018.5.5.247
- Makasis, N.; Narsilio, GA.; Bidarmaghz, A.; Johnston, IW. Ground-source heat pump systems: The effect of variable pipe separation in ground heat exchangers. Computers and Geotechnics. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2018, Vol. 100, pp. 97-109. DOI: 10.1016/j.compgeo.2018.02.010
- Bidarmaghz, A.; Narsilio, GA. Heat exchange mechanisms in energy tunnel systems. Geomechanics for Energy and the Environment. ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV. 2018, Vol. 16, pp. 83-95. DOI: 10.1016/j.gete.2018.07.004
- Zhou, Y.; Mikhaylova, O.; Bidarmaghz, A.; Donovan, B.; Narsilio, G.; Aye, L. Hybrid geothermal-gas and geothermal-solar-gas heating systems for poultry sheds. . ZEMCH Network. 2018, pp. 545-556.
- Jensen-page, L.; Narsilio, GA.; Bidarmaghz, A.; Johnston, IW. Investigation of the effect of seasonal variation in ground temperature on thermal response tests. Renewable Energy. PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD. 2018, Vol. 125, pp. 609-619. DOI: 10.1016/j.renene.2017.12.095
- Weeratunge, H.; De Hoog, J.; Dunstall, S.; Narsilio, G.; Halgamuge, S. Life Cycle Cost Optimization of a Solar Assisted Ground Source Heat Pump System. 2018 IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting (PESGM). IEEE. 2018, Vol. 2018-August. DOI: 10.1109/PESGM.2018.8586063
- Mohammadinia, A.; Disfani, MM.; Narsilio, GA.; Aye, L. Mechanical behaviour and load bearing mechanism of high porosity permeable pavements utilizing recycled tire aggregates. Construction and Building Materials. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2018, Vol. 168, pp. 794-804. DOI: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2018.02.179
- Weeratunge, H.; Narsilio, G.; De Hoog, J.; Dunstall, S.; Halgamuge, S. Model predictive control for a solar assisted ground source heat pump system. Energy. PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD. 2018, Vol. 152, pp. 974-984. DOI: 10.1016/j.energy.2018.03.079
- Zhou, Y.; Narsilio, G.; Aye, L.; Mikhaylova, O.; Bidarmaghz, A.; Soga, K. Optimisation of a hybrid geothermal-solar-gas system: A case study for a typical poultry shed in New South Wales, Australia. . IBPSA. 2018, pp. 358-365.
- Disfani, MM.; Mohammadinia, A.; Narsilio, GA.; Aye, L. Performance evaluation of semi-flexible permeable pavements under cyclic loads. International Journal of Pavement Engineering. Taylor & Francis (Routledge). 2018, pp. 1-11. DOI: 10.1080/10298436.2018.1475666
- Mehdizadeh, A.; Miri Disfani, M.; Narsilio, GA.; Tsang, CF.; Evans, R.; Gad, E. Performance of a new driven battered micropiles system in sand. . Deep Foundations Institute. 2018.
- Afshar, T.; Disfani, MM.; Narsilio, GA.; Arulrajah, A. Post-breakage changes in particle properties using synchrotron tomography. Powder Technology. ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV. 2018, Vol. 325, pp. 530-544. DOI: 10.1016/j.powtec.2017.11.039
- Narsilio, GA.; Aye, L. Shallow Geothermal Energy: An Emerging Technology. . SPRINGER. 2018, pp. 387-411. DOI: 10.1007/978-981-10-7326-7_18
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile