Dr Marco Ghisalberti
- Ecohydraulics (Physical-biological coupling in aquatic systems)
- Environmental fluid mechanics (Flow, turbulence and transport in environmental systems)
- Experimental fluid mechanics (Physical modelling of complex natural systems)
Marco Ghisalberti is in the Environmental Hydrology and Water Resources group in the Department of Infrastructure Engineering. His research is in the area of environmental fluid mechanics and ecohydraulics, with a focus on using experimental and numerical tools to understand flow, turbulence & transport in complex environmental systems, such as seagrass meadows, coral reefs, island wakes and porous media.
Current research projects include:
- Flow and mixing at the sediment-water interface
- Sediment transport in aquatic ecosystems
- Wake structure and upwelling in island wakes -
- Particle dynamics in aquatic ecosystems
- Predicting fluid residence time in coastal seagrass canopies
- Improving hydraulic efficiency of wastewater treatment ponds (with WA Water Corporation)
- Voermans, JJ.; Ghisalberti, M.; Ivey, GN. A Model for Mass Transport Across the Sediment-Water Interface. Water Resources Research. AMER GEOPHYSICAL UNION. 2018, Vol. 54, Issue 4, pp. 2799-2812. DOI: 10.1002/2017WR022418
- Morris, RL.; Konlechner, TM.; Ghisalberti, M.; Swearer, SE. From grey to green: Efficacy of eco-engineering solutions for nature-based coastal defence. Global Change Biology. WILEY. 2018, Vol. 24, Issue 5, pp. 1827-1842. DOI: 10.1111/gcb.14063
- Grant, SB.; Gomez-velez, JD.; Ghisalberti, M. Modeling the Effects of Turbulence on Hyporheic Exchange and Local-to-Global Nutrient Processing in Streams. Water Resources Research. AMER GEOPHYSICAL UNION. 2018, Vol. 54, Issue 9, pp. 5883-5889. DOI: 10.1029/2018WR023078
- Van Rooijen, A.; Lowe, R.; Ghisalberti, M.; Conde-frias, M.; Tan, L. Predicting Current-Induced Drag in Emergent and Submerged Aquatic Vegetation Canopies. Frontiers in Marine Science. FRONTIERS MEDIA SA. 2018, Vol. 5, Issue DEC. DOI: 10.3389/fmars.2018.00449
- Voermans, JJ.; Ghisalberti, M.; Ivey, GN. The Hydrodynamic Response of the Sediment-Water Interface to Coherent Turbulent Motions. Geophysical Research Letters. AMER GEOPHYSICAL UNION. 2018, Vol. 45, Issue 19, pp. 10520-10527. DOI: 10.1029/2018GL079850
- Abdolahpour, M.; Ghisalberti, M.; Mcmahon, K.; Lavery, PS. The impact of flexibility on flow, turbulence, and vertical mixing in coastal canopies. Limnology and Oceanography. WILEY. 2018, Vol. 63, Issue 6, pp. 2777-2792. DOI: 10.1002/lno.11008
- Etminan, V.; Lowe, RJ.; Ghisalberti, M. A new model for predicting the drag exerted by vegetation canopies. Water Resources Research. AMER GEOPHYSICAL UNION. 2017, Vol. 53, Issue 4, pp. 3179-3196. DOI: 10.1002/2016WR020090
- Coggins, LX.; Ghisalberti, M.; Ghadouani, A. Sludge accumulation and distribution impact the hydraulic performance in waste stabilisation ponds. Water Research. PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD. 2017, Vol. 110, pp. 354-365. DOI: 10.1016/j.watres.2016.11.031
- Voermans, JJ.; Ghisalberti, M.; Ivey, GN. The variation of flow and turbulence across the sediment-water interface. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. CAMBRIDGE UNIV PRESS. 2017, Vol. 824, pp. 413-437. DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2017.345
- Abdolahpour, M.; Hambleton, M.; Ghisalberti, M. The wave-driven current in coastal canopies. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans. AMER GEOPHYSICAL UNION. 2017, Vol. 122, Issue 5, pp. 3660-3674. DOI: 10.1002/2016JC012446
- Abdolahpour, M.; Ghisalberti, M.; Lavery, P.; Mcmahon, K. Vertical mixing in coastal canopies. Limnology and Oceanography. WILEY. 2017, Vol. 62, Issue 1, pp. 26-42. DOI: 10.1002/lno.10368
- Voermans, J.; Ghisalberti, M.; Ivey, G. COHERENT VORTEX STRUCTURES AT THE SEDIMENT-WATER-INTERFACE. 11TH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON ECOHYDRAULICS. UNIV MELBOURNE, MELBOURNE SCH ENGINEERING. 2016.
- Abdolahpour, M.; Ghisalberti, M.; Lavery, P.; Mahon, KMC. THE IMPORTANCE OF CREATING DYNAMICALLY-SCALED MODELS OF AQUATIC VEGETATION IN THE LABORATORY. 11TH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON ECOHYDRAULICS. UNIV MELBOURNE, MELBOURNE SCH ENGINEERING. 2016.
- Murphy, E.; Ghisalberti, M.; Nepf, H. Model and laboratory study of dispersion in flows with submerged vegetation. Water Resources Research. AMER GEOPHYSICAL UNION. 2007, Vol. 43, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1029/2006WR005229
- Ghisalberti, M.; Nepf, H. The structure of the shear layer in flows over rigid and flexible canopies. Environmental Fluid Mechanics. SPRINGER. 2006, Vol. 6, Issue 3, pp. 277-301. DOI: 10.1007/s10652-006-0002-4
- Ghisalberti, M.; Nepf, H. Mass transport in vegetated shear flows. Environmental Fluid Mechanics. SPRINGER. 2005, Vol. 5, Issue 6, pp. 527-551. DOI: 10.1007/s10652-005-0419-1
- Ghisalberti, M.; Nepf, HM. The limited growth of vegetated shear layers. Water Resources Research. 2004, Vol. 40, Issue 7. DOI: 10.1029/2003WR002776
- Ghisalberti, M.; Nepf, HM. Mixing layers and coherent structures in vegetated aquatic flows. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans. 2002, Vol. 107, Issue 2.
- Lavery, PS.; Oldham, CE.; Ghisalberti, M. The use of Fick's First Law for predicting porewater nutrient fluxes under diffusive conditions. Hydrological Processes. JOHN WILEY & SONS LTD. 2001, Vol. 15, Issue 13, pp. 2435-2451. DOI: 10.1002/hyp.297
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile