Associate Professor Lihai Zhang
- (1) Modelling fluid-structure interaction, mass transfer and reactive transport in deformed porous media
- (2) The development of advanced stochastic analysis method
- (3) Life-cycle performance assessment of bridges (Engineering Reliability; Structural health monitoring using non-destructive testing techniques and drone; Aerodynamic performance; Concrete corrosion)
- (4) Orthopaedic Biomechanics and mechano-biology (Cartilage mechanics and homeostasis; Reactive transport in biological tissues; Bone fracture healing)
Associate Professor Lihai Zhang is an academic staff in the Department of Infrastructure Engineering at The University of Melbourne. He received his Master of Engineering degree from the National University of Singapore with Research Scholarship in 1995. Following a successful ten year career in industry, he went on the Melbourne International Research Scholarship to further his PhD study at the University of Melbourne and graduated in 2009. He has been employed at The University of Melbourne since obtaining his PhD.
A/Prof Zhang is best known for his expertise in numerically modelling of fluid-structure interaction, mass transfer and reactive transport in deformed porous media as well as the development of advanced stochastic analysis methods. This gives him a leading advantage and a unique angle to solving outstanding engineering problems in both Civil Engineering (Life-cycle performance assessment of bridges) and Biomedical Engineering fields (Orthopaedic Biomechanics & Mechano-Biology). A/Prof Zhang has been successful in making use of strong and sustained external collaborations both within Australia, and internationally, to seek cash funding from both public and industrial sources (e.g. ARC, NHMRC and CRC) along with supports from industrial collaborators (e.g. China Aerospace Science & Industry Corporation, and Johnson & Johnson Medical) to produce a coherent body of knowledge that has been disseminated in high impact publications.
A/Prof Zhang has published more than 100 international journal papers, conference papers and book chapters. He has been awarded more than 20 National and International Competitive Grants with a total of over AU$9 million. He is the Founding Director of Melbourne-Shenzhen Rehabilitation Research Centre and Editorial Board Member of International Journal of Applied Mechanics (World Scientific). He is also an Adjunct A/Prof in the Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine Nursing and Health Sciences at Monash University, and a Visiting Professor in Earthquake Engineering Research & Test Centre at Guangzhou University, China
- Smith, D.; Gardiner, B.; Zhang, L.; Grodzinsky, A. A Systems Approach to Articular Cartilage. . Springer. 2019. DOI: 10.1007/978-981-13-1474-2_5
- Smith, D.; Gardiner, B.; Zhang, L.; Grodzinsky, A. Cartilage Tissue Dynamics. . Springer. 2019, pp. 245-309. DOI: 10.1007/978-981-13-1474-2_3
- Smith, D.; Gardiner, B.; Zhang, L.; Grodzinsky, A. Cartilage Tissue Homeostasis. . Springer. 2019, pp. 65-243. DOI: 10.1007/978-981-13-1474-2_2
- David, S.; Gardiner, B.; Zhang, L.; Grodzinsky, A. Introduction to Articular Cartilage. . Springer. 2019, pp. 1-63. DOI: 10.1007/978-981-13-1474-2_1
- Smith, D.; Gardiner, D.; Zhang, L.; Grodzinsky, A. Lubrication, Friction, and Wear in Diarthrodial Joints. . Springer. 2019, pp. 311-359. DOI: 10.1007/978-981-13-1474-2_4
- Smith, D.; Gardiner, B.; Zhang, L.; Grodzinsky, A. Osmotic Pressure, Solid Stress, and the Diffuse Double Layer. . Springer. 2019, pp. 429-467. DOI: 10.1007/978-981-13-1474-2_6
- Smith, D.; Gardiner, B.; Zhang, L.; Grodzinsky, A. Theory for Modeling Articular Cartilage. . Springer. 2019, pp. 469-560. DOI: 10.1007/978-981-13-1474-2_7
- Sun, J.; Lam, N.; Zhang, L.; Ruan, D.; Gad, E. A note on Hunt and Crossley model with generalized visco-elastic damping. International Journal of Impact Engineering. PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD. 2018, Vol. 121, pp. 151-156. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2018.07.007
- Liu, Z.; Zhou, C.; Lu, Y.; Yang, X.; Liang, Y.; Zhang, L. Application of FRP Bolts in Monitoring the Internal Force of the Rocks Surrounding a Mine-Shield Tunnel. Sensors (Basel, Switzerland). MDPI. 2018, Vol. 18, Issue 9. DOI: 10.3390/s18092763
- Smith, DW.; Gardiner, BS.; Zhang, L.; Grodzinsky, AJ. Articular Cartilage Dynamics. . Springer. 2018.
- Zhou, R.; Yang, Y.; Ge, Y.; Zhang, L. Comprehensive evaluation of aerodynamic performance of twin-box girder bridges with vertical stabilizers. Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics. ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV. 2018, Vol. 175, pp. 317-327. DOI: 10.1016/j.jweia.2018.01.039
- Cheng, C.; Zhang, L.; Thompson, RG. Disaster waste clean-up system performance subject to time-dependent disaster waste accumulation. Natural Hazards. SPRINGER. 2018, Vol. 91, Issue 2, pp. 717-734. DOI: 10.1007/s11069-017-3151-5
- Maizuar, M.; Lumantarna, E.; Sofi, M.; Oktavianus, Y.; Zhang, L.; Duffield, C.; Mendis, P.; Widyastuti, H. Dynamic behavior of Indonesian bridges using interferometric radar technology. Electronic Journal of Structural Engineering. 2018, Vol. 18, Issue 1, pp. 23-29.
- Sun, D.; Wu, K.; Shi, H.; Zhang, L.; Zhang, L. Effect of interfacial transition zone on the transport of sulfate ions in concrete. Construction and Building Materials. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2018, Vol. 192, pp. 28-37. DOI: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2018.10.140
- Yang, Y.; Zhou, R.; Ge, Y.; Zhang, L. Flutter Characteristics of Thin Plate Sections for Aerodynamic Bridges. Journal of Bridge Engineering. ASCE-AMER SOC CIVIL ENGINEERS. 2018, Vol. 23, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0001165
- Miramini, S.; Sofi, M.; Aseem, A.; Baluwala, A.; Zhang, L.; Mendis, P.; Duffield, C. Health assessment of a pedestrian bridge deck using ground penetrating radar. Electronic Journal of Structural Engineering. eJSE. 2018, Vol. 18, Issue 1, pp. 30-37.
- Pathirana, M.; Lam, N.; Perera, S.; Zhang, L.; Gad, E.; Aye, L. High strength structural glass for walk-on photovoltaic modules. . ZEMCH Network. 2018, pp. 557-566.
- Zhang, Q.; Tang, W.; Liu, J.; Duffiel, CF.; Hui, FKP.; Zhang, L.; Zhang, X. Improving Design Performance by Alliance between Contractors and Designers in International Hydropower EPC Projects from the Perspective of Chinese Construction Companies. Sustainability. MDPI. 2018, Vol. 10, Issue 4. DOI: 10.3390/su10041171
- Zhang, L. Mechanics of Biological Materials: A Civil Engineering Approach. . China Building Industry Press. 2018.
- Perera, S.; Lam, N.; Pathirana, M.; Zhang, L.; Ruan, D.; Gad, E. Probabilistic modelling of forces of hail. Natural Hazards. SPRINGER. 2018, Vol. 91, Issue 1, pp. 133-153. DOI: 10.1007/s11069-017-3117-7
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile