Associate Professor Lihai Zhang
- (1) Modelling fluid-structure interaction, mass transfer and reactive transport in deformed porous media
- (2) The development of advanced stochastic analysis method
- (3) Life-cycle performance assessment of bridges (Engineering Reliability; Structural health monitoring using non-destructive testing techniques and drone; Aerodynamic performance; Concrete corrosion)
- (4) Orthopaedic Biomechanics and mechano-biology (Cartilage mechanics and homeostasis; Reactive transport in biological tissues; Bone fracture healing)
Associate Professor Lihai Zhang is an academic staff in the Department of Infrastructure Engineering at The University of Melbourne. He received his Master of Engineering degree from the National University of Singapore with Research Scholarship in 1995. Following a successful ten year career in industry, he went on the Melbourne International Research Scholarship to further his PhD study at the University of Melbourne and graduated in 2009. He has been employed at The University of Melbourne since obtaining his PhD.
A/Prof Zhang is best known for his expertise in numerically modelling of fluid-structure interaction, mass transfer and reactive transport in deformed porous media as well as the development of advanced stochastic analysis methods. This gives him a leading advantage and a unique angle to solving outstanding engineering problems in both Civil Engineering (Life-cycle performance assessment of bridges) and Biomedical Engineering fields (Orthopaedic Biomechanics & Mechano-Biology). A/Prof Zhang has been successful in making use of strong and sustained external collaborations both within Australia, and internationally, to seek cash funding from both public and industrial sources (e.g. ARC, NHMRC and CRC) along with supports from industrial collaborators (e.g. China Aerospace Science & Industry Corporation, and Johnson & Johnson Medical) to produce a coherent body of knowledge that has been disseminated in high impact publications.
A/Prof Zhang has published more than 100 international journal papers, conference papers and book chapters. He has been awarded more than 20 National and International Competitive Grants with a total of over AU$9 million. He is the Founding Director of Melbourne-Shenzhen Rehabilitation Research Centre and Editorial Board Member of International Journal of Applied Mechanics (World Scientific). He is also an Adjunct A/Prof in the Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine Nursing and Health Sciences at Monash University, and a Visiting Professor in Earthquake Engineering Research & Test Centre at Guangzhou University, China. He has supervised/co-supervised more than 20 PhD students.
- Zhou, R.; Ge, Y.; Yang, Y.; Liu, S.; Du, Y.; Zhang, L. A nonlinear numerical scheme to simulate multiple wind effects on twin-box girder suspension bridges. Engineering Structures. Elsevier BV. 2019, Vol. 183, pp. 1072-1090. DOI: 10.1016/j.engstruct.2018.11.040
- Smith, D.; Gardiner, B.; Zhang, L.; Grodzinsky, A. A Systems Approach to Articular Cartilage. . Springer. 2019, pp. 361-428. DOI: 10.1007/978-981-13-1474-2_5
- Zhou, C.; Lu, Y.; Liu, Z.; Zhang, L. An Innovative Acousto-optic-Sensing-Based Triaxial Testing System for Rocks. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering. Springer Nature. 2019. DOI: 10.1007/s00603-019-01764-1
- Ganadhiepan, G.; Miramini, S.; Patel, M.; Mendis, P.; Zhang, L. Bone fracture healing under Ilizarov fixator: influence of fixator configuration, fracture geometry and loading.. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering. Wiley. 2019, pp. e3199-. DOI: 10.1002/cnm.3199
- Smith, D.; Gardiner, B.; Zhang, L.; Grodzinsky, A. Cartilage Tissue Dynamics. . Springer. 2019, pp. 245-309. DOI: 10.1007/978-981-13-1474-2_3
- Smith, D.; Gardiner, B.; Zhang, L.; Grodzinsky, A. Cartilage Tissue Homeostasis. . Springer. 2019, pp. 65-243. DOI: 10.1007/978-981-13-1474-2_2
- Ghimire, S.; Miramini, S.; Richardson, M.; Mendis, P.; Zhang, L. Effects of dynamic loading on fracture healing under different locking compression plate configurations: A finite element study. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials. Elsevier BV. 2019, Vol. 94, pp. 74-85. DOI: 10.1016/j.jmbbm.2019.03.004
- Ren, J.; Thompson, RG.; Zhang, L. Impact of Payload Spectra of Heavy Vehicles on Pavement Based on Weigh-in-Motion Data. Journal of Transportation Engineering, Part B: Pavements. American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE). 2019, Vol. 145, Issue 2, pp. 04019005-04019005. DOI: 10.1061/JPEODX.0000099
- David, S.; Gardiner, B.; Zhang, L.; Grodzinsky, A. Introduction to Articular Cartilage. . Springer. 2019, pp. 1-63. DOI: 10.1007/978-981-13-1474-2_1
- Smith, D.; Gardiner, D.; Zhang, L.; Grodzinsky, A. Lubrication, Friction, and Wear in Diarthrodial Joints. . Springer. 2019, pp. 311-359. DOI: 10.1007/978-981-13-1474-2_4
- Zhou, R.; Ge, Y.; Yang, Y.; Du, Y.; Liu, S.; Zhang, L. Nonlinear behaviors of the flutter occurrences for a twin-box girder bridge with passive countermeasures. Journal of Sound and Vibration. ACADEMIC PRESS LTD- ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD. 2019, Vol. 447, pp. 221-235. DOI: 10.1016/j.jsv.2019.02.002
- Smith, D.; Gardiner, B.; Zhang, L.; Grodzinsky, A. Osmotic Pressure, Solid Stress, and the Diffuse Double Layer. . Springer. 2019, pp. 429-467. DOI: 10.1007/978-981-13-1474-2_6
- Cheng, C.; Zhang, L.; Thompson, RG. Reliability analysis of road networks in disaster waste management. Waste Management. PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD. 2019, Vol. 84, pp. 383-393. DOI: 10.1016/j.wasman.2018.11.027
- Smith, D.; Gardiner, B.; Zhang, L.; Grodzinsky, A. Theory for Modeling Articular Cartilage. . Springer. 2019, pp. 469-560. DOI: 10.1007/978-981-13-1474-2_7
- Sun, J.; Lam, N.; Zhang, L.; Ruan, D.; Gad, E. A note on Hunt and Crossley model with generalized visco-elastic damping. International Journal of Impact Engineering. PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD. 2018, Vol. 121, pp. 151-156. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2018.07.007
- Liu, Z.; Zhou, C.; Lu, Y.; Yang, X.; Liang, Y.; Zhang, L. Application of FRP Bolts in Monitoring the Internal Force of the Rocks Surrounding a Mine-Shield Tunnel. Sensors. MDPI. 2018, Vol. 18, Issue 9. DOI: 10.3390/s18092763
- Smith, DW.; Gardiner, BS.; Zhang, L.; Grodzinsky, AJ. Articular Cartilage Dynamics. . Springer. 2018.
- Zhou, R.; Yang, Y.; Ge, Y.; Zhang, L. Comprehensive evaluation of aerodynamic performance of twin-box girder bridges with vertical stabilizers. Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics. ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV. 2018, Vol. 175, pp. 317-327. DOI: 10.1016/j.jweia.2018.01.039
- Cheng, C.; Zhang, L.; Thompson, RG. Disaster waste clean-up system performance subject to time-dependent disaster waste accumulation. Natural Hazards. SPRINGER. 2018, Vol. 91, Issue 2, pp. 717-734. DOI: 10.1007/s11069-017-3151-5
- Maizuar, M.; Lumantarna, E.; Sofi, M.; Oktavianus, Y.; Zhang, L.; Duffield, C.; Mendis, P.; Widyastuti, H. Dynamic Behavior of Indonesian Bridges using Interferometric Radar Technology. Electronic Journal of Structural Engineering. EJSE INT LTD. 2018, Vol. 18, Issue 1, pp. 23-29.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile