Dr Shanaka Kristombu Baduge
- Construction Materials (high-strength concrete; high performance concrete; lightweight structural systems;low-carbon building materials)
- Nano Technology for Construction Material (nanomaterial; nanoindentation; nano-scratch; multi-scale modelling)
- Structural Engineering (Prefabricated timber buildings; prefabricated footing systems; structural optimisation; Tall-Buildings)
Dr. Shanaka Kristombu Baduge is a postdoctoral research fellow of the Department of Infrastructure Engineering. He is working at CAMP.H (Centre for Advanced Manufacturing of Prefabricated Housing) funded by ARC and industry partners. He received his Ph.D. from The University of Melboune and he completed his B.Sc. (Hons) Eng. degree at University of Moratuwa. His Ph.D. focused on developing new mix-design methods for very-high strength concrete (VHSC) (100-150 MPa) and developing theoretical methods for ductility design of VHSC columns for tall-buildings.
Currently, he is the project leader for two projects involving industrial partners, Timber Building Systems and Australian Reinforcement Company. The recent change to the National Construction Code (NCC) allows timber buildings to increase in height to 25 m or 8 stories. He is working with TBS to develop a cost-effective and sustainable prefabricated panelised timber wall system for mid-rise buildings which can be deployed in a short duration. In the second project, he is working with ARC to develop a new waffle foundation system and also to develop a prefabricated foundation system for residential buildings. His skills and expertise include advanced structural analysis and design using finite element software such as ABAQUS, high performance materials, and structural optimisation.
His research interests include prefabricated building, prefabricated footing systems, high-strength and high performance concrete, light-weight structural systems, nanomaterial and nanoscale testing for construction material, multiscale modelling of concrete, low-carbon building material and generative design approach for structural optimization.
- Orlowski, K.; Shanaka, K.; Mendis, P. Design and Development of Weatherproof Seals for Prefabricated Construction: A Methodological Approach. Buildings. MDPI. 2018, Vol. 8, Issue 9. DOI: 10.3390/buildings8090117
- Nguyen, QT.; Ngo, T.; Tran, P.; Mendis, P.; Aye, L.; Baduge, SK. Fire resistance of a prefabricated bushfire bunker using aerated concrete panels. Construction and Building Materials. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2018, Vol. 174, pp. 410-420. DOI: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2018.04.065
- Orlowski, K.; Shanaka, K.; Mendis, P. Manufacturing, Modeling, Implementation and Evaluation of a Weatherproof Seal for Prefabricated Construction. Buildings. MDPI. 2018, Vol. 8, Issue 9. DOI: 10.3390/buildings8090120
- Orlowski, K.; Mendis, P.; Shanaka, K. Modeling, Implementation and Evaluation of Weatherproof Seals for Prefabricated Construction. . 2018. DOI: 10.20944/preprints201807.0623.v1
- Lee, H.; Vimonsatit, V.; Kristombu Baduge, K.; Mendis, P.; Ngo, D. Properties of Matrix, Aggregate and Interfacial Transition Zone in Very High Strength Concrete ( > 100 MPa) Using Nanoindentation Techniques. . International Federation for Concrete Structures. 2018.
- Teodosio, B.; Kristombu Baduge, K.; Mendis, P.; Heath, D. Soil-structure interaction for residential structures on reactive soils. . ASEC. 2018.
- Kristombu Baduge, S.; Mendis, P.; Ngo, T. Stress-strain relationship for very-high strength concrete (>100 MPa) confined by lateral reinforcement. Engineering Structures. 2018, Vol. 177, pp. 795-808. DOI: 10.1016/j.engstruct.2018.08.008
- Baduge, SK.; Mendis, P.; Tuan, N. Stress-strain relationship for very-high strength concrete (> 100 MPa) confined by lateral reinforcement. ENGINEERING STRUCTURES. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2018, Vol. 177, pp. 795-808. DOI: 10.1016/j.engstruct.2018.08.008
- Oktavianus, Y.; Baduge, KSK.; Orlowski, K.; Mendis, P. Structural behaviour of prefabricated load bearing braced composite timber wall system. Engineering Structures. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2018, Vol. 176, pp. 555-568. DOI: 10.1016/j.engstruct.2018.09.037
- Baduge, SK.; Mendis, P.; Tuan, N.; Portella, J.; Nguyen, K. Understanding failure and stress-strain behavior of very-high strength concrete (> 100 MPa) confined by lateral reinforcement. Construction and Building Materials. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2018, Vol. 189, pp. 62-77. DOI: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2018.08.192
- Kristombu Baduge, KS.; Mendis, PA.; Ngo, T.; Fernando, WJBS.; Waduge, B. Structural Feasibility of Very-High Strength Concrete (100 – 150 MPa) for Tall Buildings. . ICSECM. 2015.
- Kristombu Baduge, KS.; Mendis, PA.; Ngo, TD. Ductility Design of High-Strength Reinforced Concrete Columns for Super-Tall Buildings. Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Structural Engineering and Construction Management. University of Peradeniya. 2013.