Dr Kourosh Khoshelham
- Indoor positioning and navigation (indoor location-based services)
- Information extraction from point clouds and images (pattern recognition and machine learning)
- Mapping and modeling indoor environments (Building Information Modeling - BIM)
- Mapping sensor technologies (photogrammetry, laser scanning - Lidar, mobile mapping)
Kourosh Khoshelham is a Senior Lecturer at the Department of Infrastructure Engineering of the University of Melbourne. He received his PhD in photogrammetry and laser scanning from the Hong Kong Polytechnic University in 2004. Between 2005 and 2007 he worked at the University of Tehran as an assistant professor, where he was involved in teaching and research in photogrammetry and remote sensing. He joined Delft University of Technology as a postdoctoral research fellow in 2007, where he became an assistant professor in 2008. In 2010 he joined the ITC Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation of the University of Twente, where he worked for five years before moving to Melbourne in February 2015. Kourosh serves on the editorial board of several international journals, including Sensors and Infrastructures. He also serves as the Co-Chair of Working Group IV/5 of the International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (ISPRS), and the Secretary of the Australasian Spatial Information Education and Research Association (ASIERA). His research interests include indoor positioning and navigation, mobile mapping, indoor mapping, building information modelling, UAV photogrammetry and information extraction from imagery and point clouds.
- Tran, H.; Khoshelham, K.; Kealy, A.; Diaz-vilarino, L. Shape Grammar Approach to 3D Modeling of Indoor Environments Using Point Clouds. Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering. ASCE-AMER SOC CIVIL ENGINEERS. 2019, Vol. 33, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)CP.1943-5487.0000800
- Li, X.; Wang, Y.; Khoshelham, K. A Robust and Adaptive Complementary Kalman Filter Based on Mahalanobis Distance for Ultra Wideband/Inertial Measurement Unit Fusion Positioning. Sensors (Basel, Switzerland). MDPI. 2018, Vol. 18, Issue 10. DOI: 10.3390/s18103435
- Gu, F.; Khoshelham, K.; Yu, C.; Shang, J. Accurate Step Length Estimation for Pedestrian Dead Reckoning Localization Using Stacked Autoencoders. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement. 2018. DOI: 10.1109/TIM.2018.2871808
- Khoshelham, K.; Tran, H.; Díaz-vilariño, L.; Peter, M.; Kang, Z.; Acharya, D. An evaluation framework for benchmarking indoor modelling methods. ISPRS - International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences. International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (ISPRS). 2018, Vol. 42, Issue 4, pp. 365-372. DOI: 10.5194/isprs-archives-XLII-4-297-2018
- Brakhasi, F.; Matkan, A.; Hajeb, M.; Khoshelham, K. Atmospheric scene classification using CALIPSO spaceborne lidar measurements in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA), and India. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF APPLIED EARTH OBSERVATION AND GEOINFORMATION. ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV. 2018, Vol. 73, pp. 721-735. DOI: 10.1016/j.jag.2018.07.017
- Kazimi, B.; Thiemann, F.; Malek, K.; Sester, M.; Khoshelham, K. Deep learning for archaeological object detection in airborne laser scanning data. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. 2018, Vol. 2230, pp. 21-35.
- Li, G.; Fang, X.; Khoshelham, K.; Elberink, SO. Detection of Cars in Mobile Lidar Point Clouds. 2018 3rd IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Engineering, ICITE 2018. IEEE. 2018, pp. 259-263. DOI: 10.1109/ICITE.2018.8492695
- Li, Y.; Chen, Y.; Rajabifard, A.; Khoshelham, K.; Aleksandrov, M. Estimating building age from google street view images using deep learning. Leibniz International Proceedings in Informatics, LIPIcs. 2018, Vol. 114. DOI: 10.4230/LIPIcs.GIScience.2018.40
- Habib, A.; Khoshelham, K.; Akdim, N.; El Ghandour, F-E.; Labbassi, K.; Menenti, M. Impact of spatial resolution, interpolation and filtering algorithms on DEM accuracy for geomorphometric research: a case study from Sahel-Doukkala, Morocco. MODELING EARTH SYSTEMS AND ENVIRONMENT. SPRINGER HEIDELBERG. 2018, Vol. 4, Issue 4, pp. 1537-1554. DOI: 10.1007/s40808-018-0512-3
- Gu, F.; Khoshelham, K.; Valaee, S.; Shang, J.; Zhang, R. Locomotion Activity Recognition Using Stacked Denoising Autoencoders. IEEE Internet of Things Journal. IEEE-INST ELECTRICAL ELECTRONICS ENGINEERS INC. 2018, Vol. 5, Issue 3, pp. 2085-2093. DOI: 10.1109/JIOT.2018.2823084
- Ramezani, M.; Khoshelham, K.; Fraser, C. Pose estimation by Omnidirectional Visual-Inertial Odometry. Robotics and Autonomous Systems. ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV. 2018, Vol. 105, pp. 26-37. DOI: 10.1016/j.robot.2018.03.007
- Peters, S.; Khoshelham, K. Preface. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. 2018, Vol. 2087, pp. III-.
- Acharya, D.; Yan, W.; Khoshelham, K. Real-time image-based parking occupancy detection using deep learning. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. 2018, Vol. 2087, pp. 33-40.
- Khoshelham, K. Smart heritage: Challenges in digitisation and spatial information modelling of historical buildings. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. 2018, Vol. 2230, pp. 7-12. DOI: 10.4230/LIPIcs.COARCH.2018
- Azadbakht, M.; Fraser, CS.; Khoshelham, K. Synergy of sampling techniques and ensemble classifiers for classification of urban environments using full-waveform LiDAR data. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation. ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV. 2018, Vol. 73, pp. 277-291. DOI: 10.1016/j.jag.2018.06.009
- Li, X.; Wang, Y.; Khoshelham, K. UWB/PDR Tightly Coupled Navigation with Robust Extended Kalman Filter for NLOS Environments. Mobile Information Systems. HINDAWI LTD. 2018, Vol. 2018. DOI: 10.1155/2018/8019581
- He, H.; Khoshelham, K.; Fraser, C. A TWO-STEP CLASSIFICATION APPROACH to DISTINGUISHING SIMILAR OBJECTS in MOBILE LIDAR POINT CLOUDS. ISPRS Annals of Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences. 2017, Vol. 4, Issue 2W4, pp. 67-74. DOI: 10.5194/isprs-annals-IV-2-W4-67-2017
- Foerstner, W.; Khoshelham, K. Efficient and Accurate Registration of Point Clouds with Plane to Plane Correspondences. Proceedings - 2017 IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision Workshops, ICCVW 2017. IEEE. 2017, Vol. 2018-January, pp. 2165-2173. DOI: 10.1109/ICCVW.2017.253
- Tran, H.; Khoshelham, K.; Kealy, A.; Díaz-vilariño, L. EXTRACTING TOPOLOGICAL RELATIONS between INDOOR SPACES from POINT CLOUDS. ISPRS Annals of Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences. ISPRS. 2017, Vol. 4, Issue 2W4, pp. 401-406. DOI: 10.5194/isprs-annals-IV-2-W4-401-2017
- Habib, A.; Akdim, N.; El Ghandour, F-E.; Labbassi, K.; Khoshelham, K.; Menenti, M. Extraction and accuracy assessment of high-resolution DEM and derived orthoimages from ALOS-PRISM data over Sahel-Doukkala (Morocco). Earth Science Informatics. SPRINGER HEIDELBERG. 2017, Vol. 10, Issue 2, pp. 197-217. DOI: 10.1007/s12145-017-0287-5
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile