Professor Tuan Ngo
- Civil and Structural Engineering
- Prefabricated Modular Buildings and Off-site Construction
- Security and Protective Engineering
- Sustainable Materials, Buildings and Infrastructure
Prof Tuan Ngo is the Director of the Advanced Protective Technologies for Engineering Structures (APTES) Group at the University of Melbourne. He initiated and coordinated the bid to establish of the ARC Training Centre for Advanced Manufacturing of Prefabricated Housing (ARC-CAMPH) and he is currently the Research Director of ARC-CAMPH. He is also the leader of the CRC-P for Advanced Manufacturing of High Performance Building Façade Systems.
The APTES Group led by Prof Ngo is recognised as one of the leading centres in advanced materials & structural systems, and physical infrastructure protection in Australia and the Asia Pacific region. His group has been working closely with industry and government organisations to carry out research in these areas.
Prof Ngo has made a significant contribution to research in vulnerability modelling of critical infrastructure, particularly in the area of assessment of the effects of natural and technical hazards on buildings and infrastructure. He is recognised as an expert in protective technologies for protecting critical infrastructure by many government organisations and industry.
Prof Ngo has been involved in many projects to provide security assessment, risk modelling and protection solutions. These projects include design and strengthening of high-rise structures, government buildings, embassies, airports, bridges, tunnels, power stations and critical industrial facilities in Australia and overseas.
Prof Ngo has carried out significant research collaborations with industry and government agencies to perform large-scale experiments of prefabricated modular components of building structures (facades, wall panels and floor slab systems). The national and international research interactions have given Prof Ngo widespread recognition amongst the scientific community and industry as an expert in design and manufacturing of building components and systems using high performance materials.
Prof Ngo is leading a team of researchers in Protective Armoured Systems of the Defence Material Technology Centre (DMTC). His team has developed novel material testing and characterisation techniques and a multi-scale simulation framework for modelling ultra-high strength armour materials and vehicle structural components subjected to extreme mine blasts and ballistic attacks.
Prof Ngo is the winner of the 2013 Eureka Prize for Outstanding Science in Safeguarding Australia. He received the Safeguarding Australia Award for Best Contribution to National Security Technology Research in 2011. He also received the Award for Excellence in Concrete by the Concrete Institute of Australia-Vic Branch in 2017 and the University of Melbourne Excellence Award for Industry-engaged Research.
- Prefabricated modular buildings
- Extreme loadings: blast, impact and fire
- High strength concrete
- Wind engineering and computational fluid dynamics
- Modelling urban systems and design of sustainable precincts
- Le, TV.; Ghazlan, A.; Ngo, T.; Nguyen, T.; Remennikov, A. A comprehensive review of selected biological armor systems – From structure-function to bio-mimetic techniques. Composite Structures. Elsevier BV. 2019, Vol. 225, pp. 111172-111172. DOI: 10.1016/j.compstruct.2019.111172
- Nguyen, TT.; Bui, HH.; Ngo, TD.; Nguyen, GD.; Kreher, MU.; Darve, F. A micromechanical investigation for the effects of pore size and its distribution on geopolymer foam concrete under uniaxial compression. Engineering Fracture Mechanics. PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD. 2019, Vol. 209, pp. 228-244. DOI: 10.1016/j.engfracmech.2019.01.033
- Duc, TL.; Dac-khuong, B.; Tuan, DN.; Quoc-hung, N.; Nguyen-xuan, H. A novel hybrid method combining electromagnetism-like mechanism and firefly algorithms for constrained design optimization of discrete truss structures. Computers & Structures. PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD. 2019, Vol. 212, pp. 20-42. DOI: 10.1016/j.compstruc.2018.10.017
- Chen, L.; Zhang, X.; Shi, Y.; Ngo, T.; Bedon, C.; Sielicki, PW. Advancements in Analysis and Design of Protective Structures against Extreme Loadings. Advances in Civil Engineering. HINDAWI LTD. 2019, Vol. 2019. DOI: 10.1155/2019/7495367
- Elsanadedy, HM.; Al-salloum, YA.; Almusallam, TH.; Ngo, T.; Abbas, H. Assessment of progressive collapse potential of special moment resisting RC frames – Experimental and FE study. Engineering Failure Analysis. Elsevier BV. 2019, Vol. 105, pp. 896-918. DOI: 10.1016/j.engfailanal.2019.07.045
- Son, T.; Huu-tai, T.; Uy, B.; Tuan, N. Concrete-filled steel tubular columns: Test database, design and calibration. Journal of Constructional Steel Research. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2019, Vol. 157, pp. 161-181. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcsr.2019.02.024
- Tuan, N.; Kashani, A.; Tuan, N.; Bordas, S. Deep neural network with high-order neuron for the prediction of foamed concrete strength. Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering. WILEY. 2019, Vol. 34, Issue 4, pp. 316-332. DOI: 10.1111/mice.12422
- Remennikov, A.; Kalubadanage, D.; Ngo, T.; Mendis, P.; Alici, G.; Whittaker, A. Development and performance evaluation of large-scale auxetic protective systems for localised impulsive loads. International Journal of Protective Structures. Multi-Science Publishing. 2019, pp. 204141961985808-204141961985808. DOI: 10.1177/2041419619858087
- Kristombu Baduge, S.; Mendis, P.; Ngo, TD.; Sofi, M. Ductility Design of Reinforced Very-High Strength Concrete Columns (100–150 MPa) Using Curvature and Energy-Based Ductility Indices. International Journal of Concrete Structures and Materials. Springer Science and Business Media LLC. 2019, Vol. 13, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1186/s40069-019-0347-y
- Kashani, A.; Ngo, TD.; Hajimohammadi, A. Effect of recycled glass fines on mechanical and durability properties of concrete foam in comparison with traditional cementitious fines. Cement and Concrete Composites. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2019, Vol. 99, pp. 120-129. DOI: 10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2019.03.004
- Gunawardena, D.; Mendis, P.; Ngo, D.; Rismanchi, B.; Aye, L. Effective use of offsite manufacturing for public infrastructure projects in Australia. International Conference on Smart Infrastructure and Construction 2019 (ICSIC). ICE Publishing. 2019, pp. 267-273. DOI: 10.1680/icsic.64669.267
- Li, J.; Rismanchi, B.; Ngo, T. Feasibility study to estimate the environmental benefits of utilising timber to construct high-rise buildings in Australia. Building and Environment. PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD. 2019, Vol. 147, pp. 108-120. DOI: 10.1016/j.buildenv.2018.09.052
- Hajimohammadi, A.; Ngo, T.; Provis, JL.; Kim, T.; Vongsvivut, J. High strength/density ratio in a syntactic foam made from one-part mix geopolymer and cenospheres. Composites Part B: Engineering. Elsevier BV. 2019, Vol. 173, pp. 106908-106908. DOI: 10.1016/j.compositesb.2019.106908
- Hajimohammadi, A.; Tuan, N.; Vongsvivut, J. Interfacial chemistry of a fly ash geopolymer and aggregates. Journal of Cleaner Production. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2019, Vol. 231, pp. 980-989. DOI: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2019.05.249
- Ferdous, W.; Bai, Y.; Tuan, DN.; Manalo, A.; Mendis, P. New advancements, challenges and opportunities of multi-storey modular buildings - A state-of-the-art review. Engineering Structures. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2019, Vol. 183, pp. 883-893. DOI: 10.1016/j.engstruct.2019.01.061
- Navaratnam, S.; Tuan, N.; Gunawardena, T.; Henderson, D. Performance Review of Prefabricated Building Systems and Future Research in Australia. Buildings. MDPI. 2019, Vol. 9, Issue 2. DOI: 10.3390/buildings9020038
- Remennikov, A.; Gan, ECJ.; Tuan, N.; Netherton, MD. The development and ballistic performance of protective steel-concrete composite barriers against hypervelocity impacts by explosively formed projectiles. Composite Structures. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2019, Vol. 207, pp. 625-644. DOI: 10.1016/j.compstruct.2018.09.060
- Kashani, A.; Ngo, TD.; Mendis, P. The effects of precursors on rheology and self-compactness of geopolymer concrete. Magazine of Concrete Research. ICE PUBLISHING. 2019, Vol. 71, Issue 11, pp. 557-566. DOI: 10.1680/jmacr.17.00495
- Linforth, S.; Phuong, T.; Rupasinghe, M.; Nam, N.; Tuan, N.; Saleh, M.; Odish, R.; Shanmugam, D. Unsaturated soil blast: Flying plate experiment and numerical investigations. International Journal of Impact Engineering. PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD. 2019, Vol. 125, pp. 212-228. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2018.08.002
- Nguyen, HX.; Atroshchenko, E.; Tuan, N.; Nguyen-xuan, H.; Vo, TP. Vibration of cracked functionally graded microplates by the strain gradient theory and extended isogeometric analysis. Engineering Structures. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2019, Vol. 187, pp. 251-266. DOI: 10.1016/j.engstruct.2019.02.032
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile