Professor Tuan Ngo
- Civil and Structural Engineering
- Prefabricated Modular Buildings and Off-site Construction
- Security and Protective Engineering
- Sustainable Materials, Buildings and Infrastructure
Prof Tuan Ngo is the Director of the Advanced Protective Technologies for Engineering Structures (APTES) Group at the University of Melbourne. He initiated and coordinated the bid to establish of the ARC Training Centre for Advanced Manufacturing of Prefabricated Housing (ARC-CAMPH) and he is currently the Research Director of ARC-CAMPH. He is also the leader of the CRC-P for Advanced Manufacturing of High Performance Building Façade Systems.
The APTES Group led by Prof Ngo is recognised as one of the leading centres in advanced materials & structural systems, and physical infrastructure protection in Australia and the Asia Pacific region. His group has been working closely with industry and government organisations to carry out research in these areas.
Prof Ngo has made a significant contribution to research in vulnerability modelling of critical infrastructure, particularly in the area of assessment of the effects of natural and technical hazards on buildings and infrastructure. He is recognised as an expert in protective technologies for protecting critical infrastructure by many government organisations and industry.
Prof Ngo has been involved in many projects to provide security assessment, risk modelling and protection solutions. These projects include design and strengthening of high-rise structures, government buildings, embassies, airports, bridges, tunnels, power stations and critical industrial facilities in Australia and overseas.
Prof Ngo has carried out significant research collaborations with industry and government agencies to perform large-scale experiments of prefabricated modular components of building structures (facades, wall panels and floor slab systems). The national and international research interactions have given Prof Ngo widespread recognition amongst the scientific community and industry as an expert in design and manufacturing of building components and systems using high performance materials.
Prof Ngo is leading a team of researchers in Protective Armoured Systems of the Defence Material Technology Centre (DMTC). His team has developed novel material testing and characterisation techniques and a multi-scale simulation framework for modelling ultra-high strength armour materials and vehicle structural components subjected to extreme mine blasts and ballistic attacks.
Prof Ngo is the winner of the 2013 Eureka Prize for Outstanding Science in Safeguarding Australia. He received the Safeguarding Australia Award for Best Contribution to National Security Technology Research in 2011. He also received the Award for Excellence in Concrete by the Concrete Institute of Australia-Vic Branch in 2017 and the University of Melbourne Excellence Award for Industry-engaged Research.
- Prefabricated modular buildings
- Extreme loadings: blast, impact and fire
- High strength concrete
- Wind engineering and computational fluid dynamics
- Modelling urban systems and design of sustainable precincts
- Nguyen, TT.; Bui, HH.; Ngo, TD.; Nguyen, GD.; Kreher, MU.; Darve, F. A micromechanical investigation for the effects of pore size and its distribution on geopolymer foam concrete under uniaxial compression. Engineering Fracture Mechanics. PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD. 2019, Vol. 209, pp. 228-244. DOI: 10.1016/j.engfracmech.2019.01.033
- Duc, TL.; Dac-khuong, B.; Tuan, DN.; Quoc-hung, N.; Nguyen-xuan, H. A novel hybrid method combining electromagnetism-like mechanism and firefly algorithms for constrained design optimization of discrete truss structures. Computers & Structures. PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD. 2019, Vol. 212, pp. 20-42. DOI: 10.1016/j.compstruc.2018.10.017
- Thai, S.; Thai, HT.; Uy, B.; Ngo, T. Concrete-filled steel tubular columns: Test database, design and calibration. Journal of Constructional Steel Research. Elsevier BV. 2019, Vol. 157, pp. 161-181. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcsr.2019.02.024
- Tuan, N.; Kashani, A.; Tuan, N.; Bordas, S. Deep neural network with high-order neuron for the prediction of foamed concrete strength. Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering. WILEY. 2019, Vol. 34, Issue 4, pp. 316-332. DOI: 10.1111/mice.12422
- Kashani, A.; Ngo, TD.; Hajimohammadi, A. Effect of recycled glass fines on mechanical and durability properties of concrete foam in comparison with traditional cementitious fines. Cement and Concrete Composites. Elsevier BV. 2019, Vol. 99, pp. 120-129. DOI: 10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2019.03.004
- Li, J.; Rismanchi, B.; Ngo, T. Feasibility study to estimate the environmental benefits of utilising timber to construct high-rise buildings in Australia. Building and Environment. PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD. 2019, Vol. 147, pp. 108-120. DOI: 10.1016/j.buildenv.2018.09.052
- Ferdous, W.; Bai, Y.; Ngo, TD.; Manalo, A.; Mendis, P. New advancements, challenges and opportunities of multi-storey modular buildings – A state-of-the-art review. Engineering Structures. Elsevier BV. 2019, Vol. 183, pp. 883-893. DOI: 10.1016/j.engstruct.2019.01.061
- Navaratnam, S.; Tuan, N.; Gunawardena, T.; Henderson, D. Performance Review of Prefabricated Building Systems and Future Research in Australia. Buildings. MDPI. 2019, Vol. 9, Issue 2. DOI: 10.3390/buildings9020038
- Remennikov, A.; Gan, ECJ.; Tuan, N.; Netherton, MD. The development and ballistic performance of protective steel-concrete composite barriers against hypervelocity impacts by explosively formed projectiles. Composite Structures. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2019, Vol. 207, pp. 625-644. DOI: 10.1016/j.compstruct.2018.09.060
- Linforth, S.; Phuong, T.; Rupasinghe, M'.; Nam, N.; Tuan, N.; Saleh, M.; Odish, R.; Shanmugam, D. Unsaturated soil blast: Flying plate experiment and numerical investigations. International Journal of Impact Engineering. PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD. 2019, Vol. 125, pp. 212-228. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2018.08.002
- Nguyen, HX.; Atroshchenko, E.; Ngo, T.; Nguyen-xuan, H.; Vo, TP. Vibration of cracked functionally graded microplates by the strain gradient theory and extended isogeometric analysis. Engineering Structures. Elsevier BV. 2019, Vol. 187, pp. 251-266. DOI: 10.1016/j.engstruct.2019.02.032
- Nguyen, T.; Ghazlan, A.; Kashani, A.; Bordas, S.; Ngo, T. 3D meso-scale modelling of foamed concrete based on X-ray Computed Tomography. Construction and Building Materials. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2018, Vol. 188, pp. 583-598. DOI: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2018.08.085
- Sinaie, S.; Tuan, DN.; Vinh, PN. A discrete element model of concrete for cyclic loading. Computers & Structures. PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD. 2018, Vol. 196, pp. 173-185. DOI: 10.1016/j.compstruc.2017.11.014
- Dac-khuong, B.; Tuan, N.; Chou, J-S.; Nguyen-xuan, H.; Tuan, DN. A modified firefly algorithm-artificial neural network expert system for predicting compressive and tensile strength of high-performance concrete. Construction and Building Materials. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2018, Vol. 180, pp. 320-333. DOI: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2018.05.201
- Chau, KN.; Chau, KN.; Tuan, N.; Hackl, K.; Nguyen-xuan, H. A polytree-based adaptive polygonal finite element method for multi-material topology optimization. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering. ELSEVIER SCIENCE SA. 2018, Vol. 332, pp. 712-739. DOI: 10.1016/j.cma.2017.07.035
- Ngo, TD.; Kashani, A.; Imbalzano, G.; Nguyen, KTQ.; Hui, D. Additive manufacturing (3D printing): A review of materials, methods, applications and challenges. Composites Part B: Engineering. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2018, Vol. 143, pp. 172-196. DOI: 10.1016/j.compositesb.2018.02.012
- Thalpe Guruge, .; Samarasinghe, .; Gunawardena, .; Nguyen, T.; Mendis, P.; Ngo, T.; Aye, L. An optimum construction strategy for multi-story residential prefabricated modular buildings. . ZEMCH Network. 2018, pp. 805-814.
- Ren, X.; Das, R.; Phuong, T.; Tuan, DN.; Xie, YM. Auxetic metamaterials and structures: a review. Smart Materials and Structures. IOP PUBLISHING LTD. 2018, Vol. 27, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1088/1361-665X/aaa61c
- Ren, X.; Shen, J.; Phuong, T.; Tuan, DN.; Xie, YM. Auxetic nail: Design and experimental study. Composite Structures. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2018, Vol. 184, pp. 288-298. DOI: 10.1016/j.compstruct.2017.10.013
- Imbalzano, G.; Linforth, S.; Tuan, DN.; Lee, PVS.; Phuong, T. Blast resistance of auxetic and honeycomb sandwich panels: Comparisons and parametric designs. Composite Structures. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2018, Vol. 183, Issue 1, pp. 242-261. DOI: 10.1016/j.compstruct.2017.03.018
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile