Professor Colin Duffield
- Infrastructure Procurement (Private financing)
- Risk Management and Procurement (Contracts, delivery systems)
- Structural Dynamics (High Rise, domestic)
Colin is Professor of Engineering Project Management and Civil Engineering Discipline Leader in the Department of Infrastructure Engineering, at The University of Melbourne. He is also a Board member of Infrastructure Australia and a Fellow of the Law School (where he delivers a master level unit in infrastructure procurement). He is a recognised international thought leader in the efficient procurement of public infrastructure and the incorporation of private finance as a mechanism for achieving value for money outcomes.
Colin has extensive experience in the governance of long term contracts and the interaction between policy, technical matters, risk management, financing and contractual arrangements. This expertise has been gained through: an involvement in infrastructure delivery for public and private clients (both as a practitioner and researcher); work on policy via secondment to Treasury and Finance, Victoria; as an adviser to projects on risk and project structuring; as an expert witness; and as an independent reviewer and researcher of major engineering contracts.
Colin’s research has been widely cited in Australia and Internationally by industry, government and peak independent commentators.
- Wang, S.; Shen, W.; Tang, W.; Wang, Y.; Duffield, CF.; Hui, FKP. Understanding the social network of stakeholders in hydropower project development: An owners' view. Renewable Energy. PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD. 2019, Vol. 132, pp. 326-334. DOI: 10.1016/j.renene.2018.07.137
- Wu, S.; Huang, S.; Wei, Y.; Duffield, C.; Tang, W.; Zhao, Y.; Zheng, H. A longitudinal analysis on the perspectives of major world newspapers on the Three Gorges Dam project during 1982-2015. Water Science and Technology: Water Supply. IWA PUBLISHING. 2018, Vol. 18, Issue 1, pp. 94-107. DOI: 10.2166/ws.2017.088
- Saeed, AM.; Duffield, C.; Hui, FKP. An enhanced framework for assessing the operational performance of public-private partnership school projects. Built Environment Project and Asset Management. EMERALD GROUP PUBLISHING LTD. 2018, Vol. 8, Issue 2, pp. 194-214. DOI: 10.1108/BEPAM-07-2017-0041
- Hui, K.; Duffield, C.; Wahyuni, S.; Parikesit, D.; Wilson, S. Collaborative international industry-university research training in infrastructure projects: An Australian-Indonesian case study.. . Curtin University of Technology. 2018, pp. 48-48.
- Pelham, N.; Duffield, C. Decision making at the mega project boardroom. . EPOC. 2018, pp. 950-974.
- Kuiper, I.; Duffield, C. Describing proposed elements of and considerations for public procurement to frame research into building information modelling (BIM) and infrastructure projects. . Department of Infrastructure Engineering, The University of Melbourne. 2018, pp. 1-60.
- Kuiper, I.; Duffield, C. Describing structural configurations towards identifying and establishing theoretical foundations for the exploration and understanding of building information modelling (BIM). . Department of Infrastructure Engineering, The University of Melbourne. 2018, pp. 1-33.
- Sofi, M.; Lumantarna, E.; Zhong, A.; Mendis, PA.; Duffield, C.; Barnes, R. Determining dynamic characteristics of high rise buildings using interferometric radar system. Engineering Structures. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2018, Vol. 164, pp. 230-242. DOI: 10.1016/j.engstruct.2018.02.084
- Maizuar, M.; Lumantarna, E.; Sofi, M.; Oktavianus, Y.; Zhang, L.; Duffield, C.; Mendis, P.; Widyastuti, H. Dynamic Behavior of Indonesian Bridges using Interferometric Radar Technology. Electronic Journal of Structural Engineering. EJSE INT LTD. 2018, Vol. 18, Issue 1, pp. 23-29.
- Duffield, C.; Hui, K.; Wilson, S.; Wisesa, H.; Wahyuni, S.; Taufik, A.; Prijadi, R.; Daghlas, H. Efficient Facilitation of Major Infrastructure Projects. . Australia-Indonesia Centre. 2018, pp. 17-17. DOI: 10.4225/03/5b0cf3ab65a48
- Kuiper, I.; Duffield, C. Exploration and summary of adopted definitions and descriptions of framework components for building information modelling (BIM) framework review. . Department of Infrastructure Engineering, The University of Melbourne. 2018, pp. 1-29.
- Duffield, C. Foreword. Electronic Journal of Structural Engineering. 2018, Vol. 18, Issue 1, pp. II-.
- Miramini, S.; Sofi, M.; Aseem, A.; Baluwala, A.; Zhang, L.; Mendis, P.; Duffield, C. Health Assessment of a Pedestrian Bridge Deck using Ground Penetrating Radar. Electronic Journal of Structural Engineering. EJSE INT LTD. 2018, Vol. 18, Issue 1, pp. 30-37.
- Tuan, N.; Susiswo, HS.; Duffield, C.; Mendis, P.; Ghazlan, A. Identification of the risk of blast-induced glass window failure in a complex environment. International Journal of Protective Structures. SAGE PUBLICATIONS LTD. 2018, Vol. 9, Issue 1, pp. 99-117. DOI: 10.1177/2041419617748659
- Saeed, A.; Duffield, C.; Hui, K. Innovation in publicly operated Public-Private Partnerships. Infrastructure Asset Management. The Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE Publishing). 2018, pp. 1-43. DOI: 10.1680/jinam.18.00008
- Hui, K.; Duffield, COLIN.; Wilson, S. Proceedings of the Port Competitiveness and Financing Research Workshop. . University of Melbourne, Department of Infrastructure Engineering. 2018.
- Lei, Z.; Tang, W.; Duffield, CF.; Zhang, L.; Hui, FKP.; You, R. Qualitative Analysis of the Occupational Health and Safety Performance of Chinese International Construction Projects. Sustainability. MDPI. 2018, Vol. 10, Issue 12. DOI: 10.3390/su10124344
- Duffield, C. Special Issue: Volume 18 - 1: 2018: Structural Performance Assessment of Civil Infrastructure Foreword. ELECTRONIC JOURNAL OF STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING. EJSE INT LTD. 2018, Vol. 18, Issue 1, pp. II-II.
- Al Daghlas, H.; Hui, K.; Duffield, C. The importance of environmental sustainability to obtain finance for port developments in Australia and Indonesia. . Curtin University of Technology. 2018, pp. 156-165.
- Kuiper, I.; Duffield, C. Theory derived conceptualisations for high level interpretations and descriptions of informational systems and data linkages. . Department of Infrastructure Engineering, The University of Melbourne. 2018, pp. 1-45.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile