Professor Abbas Rajabifard
- Planning, management and implementation of spatial data Infrastructures-SDIs (including marine and seamless SDI)
- SDI and concepts of virtual jurisdictions
- SDI and enabling platform and SDI capacity building
- Spatial data management, Spatial Data Infrastructure (SDI) design and development in both land and marine environments, spatially enabled platforms (SDI, Land administration, cadastre, Marine SDI, Capacity development)
- Spatially enabled government and society
Prof Abbas Rajabifard is Head of Department of Infrastructure Engineering at The University of Melbourne. He is also Director of the Centre for Spatial Data Infrastructures & Land Administration (CSDILA).
Prof Rajabifard is a member of Academic Board. He was President of the GSDI Association (2009-2012), Vice Chair of Working Group 3 of the United Nations supported Permanent Committee on GIS Infrastructure for Asia and the Pacific (PCGIAP), is a member of ICA-Spatial Data Standard Commission, and is a member of Victorian Spatial Council. He has been an Executive Board member and national representative to the PCGIAP (1994-1998), member of International Steering Committee for Global Mapping Project (1997-2001) and a member of the UN-ESCAP Group of Experts to develop Guidelines on GIS Standardisation for Asia-Pacific (1995).
Prof Rajabifard has active research in the areas of SDI, Land Administration and land management, spatial enablement, spatial enabled government and societies, disaster management, 3D platforms and virtual jurisdictions. He had published broadly on SDI, land administration, GIS and spatial data management. In recent years he has focused more on the design and development of SDIs in different jurisdictions including sustainable and smart cities. He provide academic and research leadership in the Centre for SDIs and Land Administration; ). Prof Rajabifard has over 15 years of teaching experience in different areas of the spatial data disciplines and in particular SDI, GIS, land administration, spatial enablement and recently in the area of sustainable infrastructure systems. He has supervised many successful PhD and Masters students and has assessed PhD and MSc thesis internationally. He is a member of editorial board of different international journals. In addition to his personal research, a key focus of his effort has been to build the research capacity across different disciplines. In this area, he has successfully managed and coordinated different research projects including ARC, DEST, Australian Commonwealth government funding, Australian CRC-SI (Cooperative Research Centre for Spatial Information) and collaborative research with European funding. He has been also consulted widely on SDI, land administration, GIS applications and spatial data management to many national government agencies and different ministries and international organizations.
Professor Abbas Rajabifard, was awarded the Global Spatial Data Infrastructure Association’s (GSDI) President’s Medal at the 2012 Global Spatial Conference in Quebec City, Canada in recognition of his contribution to GSDI and in particular, his chairmanship from 2009-2012. During his chairmanship, Professor Rajabifard headed two global spatial conferences, contributed to the establishment of the United Nations Global Geospatial Information Management (UN-GGIM) initiative, facilitated closer collaboration between international spatial industry-related organisations, chaired three Global SDI World Conference refereed publication channels and published two research books. Prof Rajabifard was awarded the SSSI Professional of the Year Award 2015 - the Spatial Excellence Awards which celebrate the achievements of top spatial information enterprises and individuals, showcasing most significant performance of professionals in the Surveying and Spatial Industry. This award is in recognition of their outstanding achievements in the disciplines of the surveying and spatial sciences, in professional achievements acknowledged by peer citation as exemplifying the highest standards of excellence and ethical conduct in performance, contribution to continuing professional development and service, peer respect and leadership.
- Qiao, Y-K.; Peng, F-L.; Sabri, S.; Rajabifard, A. Low carbon effects of urban underground space. Sustainable Cities and Society. ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV. 2019, Vol. 45, pp. 451-459. DOI: 10.1016/j.scs.2018.12.015
- Rajabifard, A.; Atazadeh, B.; Kalantari, M. A critical evaluation of 3D spatial information models for managing legal arrangements of multi-owned developments in Victoria, Australia. International Journal of Geographical Information Science. TAYLOR & FRANCIS LTD. 2018, Vol. 32, Issue 10, pp. 2098-2122. DOI: 10.1080/13658816.2018.1484125
- Rahrnatizadeh, S.; Rajabifard, A.; Kalantari, M.; Ho, S. A framework for selecting a fit-for-purpose data collection method in land administration. Land Use Policy. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2018, Vol. 70, pp. 162-171. DOI: 10.1016/j.landusepol.2017.10.034
- Kaviani, A.; Thompson, RG.; Rajabifard, A.; Sarvi, M. A model for multi-class road network recovery scheduling of regional road networks. Transportation. 2018, pp. 1-35. DOI: 10.1007/s11116-017-9852-5
- Rajabifard, .; Atazadeh, B.; Kalantari, M.; Williamson, . A New Method for Integrating 3D spatial information about vertically stratified ownership properties into the property map base. . FIG (International Federation of Surveyors). 2018.
- Rajabifard, .; Agunbiade, .; Kalantari, M.; Yip, KM.; Atazadeh, B.; Badiee, .; Isa, D.; Adimin, MK.; Chan, KL.; Aien, A.; Olfat, H.; Shojaei, D.; Anaraki, MR. An LADM-based Approach for Developing and Implementing a National 3D Cadastre – A Case Study of Malaysia. . FIG (International Federation of Surveyors). 2018, pp. 47-66.
- Chen, Y.; Sabri, S.; Rajabifard, A.; Agunbiade, ME. An ontology-based spatial data harmonisation for urban analytics. Computers, Environment and Urban Systems. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2018, Vol. 72, pp. 177-190. DOI: 10.1016/j.compenvurbsys.2018.06.009
- Azimi, S.; Delavar, MR.; Rajabifard, A. An optimized multi agent-based modeling of smart rescue operation. International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences - ISPRS Archives. 2018, Vol. 42, Issue 3W4, pp. 93-100. DOI: 10.5194/isprs-archives-XLII-3-W4-93-2018
- Kiavarz, H.; Jadidi, M.; Rajabifard, A.; Sohn, G. BIM-GIS oriented intelligent knowledge discovery. International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences - ISPRS Archives. 2018, Vol. 42, Issue 4/W10, pp. 79-82. DOI: 10.5194/isprs-archives-XLII-4-W10-79-2018
- Yang, Z.; Rajabifard, A. City transition: A MOP rights boom in China. . 2018, pp. 83-101. DOI: 10.1057/978-1-137-56988-2_5
- Atazadeh, B.; Rajabifard, .; Kalantari, M. Connecting LADM and IFC Standards – Pathways towards an Integrated Legal-Physical Model. . FIG (International Federation of Surveyors). 2018, pp. 89-102.
- Knoth, L.; Scholz, J.; Strobl, J.; Mittlboeck, M.; Vockner, B.; Atzl, C.; Rajabifard, A.; Atazadeh, B. Cross-Domain Building Models-A Step towards Interoperability. Canadian Historical Review. MDPI. 2018, Vol. 7, Issue 9. DOI: 10.3390/ijgi7090363
- Shojaei, D.; Olfat, H.; Rajabifard, A.; Briffa, M. Design and Development of a 3D Digital Cadastre Visualization Prototype. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information. MDPI. 2018, Vol. 7, Issue 10. DOI: 10.3390/ijgi7100384
- Li, Y.; Chen, Y.; Rajabifard, A.; Khoshelham, K.; Aleksandrov, M. Estimating building age from google street view images using deep learning. Leibniz International Proceedings in Informatics, LIPIcs. 2018, Vol. 114. DOI: 10.4230/LIPIcs.GIScience.2018.40
- Ulubaşoğlu, MA.; Rahman, MH.; Önder, YK.; Chen, Y.; Rajabifard, A. Floods, Bushfires and Sectoral Economic Output in Australia, 1978–2014. Economic Record. 2018. DOI: 10.1111/1475-4932.12446
- Chen, Y.; Shooraj, E.; Rajabifard, A.; Sabri, S. From IFC to 3D Tiles: An Integrated Open-Source Solution for Visualising BIMs on Cesium. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information. MDPI. 2018, Vol. 7, Issue 10. DOI: 10.3390/ijgi7100393
- Kaviani, A.; Thompson, RG.; Rajabifard, A.; Sarvi, M. Hybrid machine learning and optimisation method to solve a tri-level road network protection problem. IET Intelligent Transport Systems. INST ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY-IET. 2018, Vol. 12, Issue 9, pp. 1011-1019. DOI: 10.1049/iet-its.2018.5168
- Rajabifard, A. Impact. Electronic Journal of Structural Engineering. 2018, Vol. 18, Issue 1, pp. III-.
- Pour, AT.; Moridpour, S.; Tay, R.; Rajabifard, A. Influence of pedestrian age and gender on spatial and temporal distribution of pedestrian crashes. Traffic Injury Prevention. TAYLOR & FRANCIS INC. 2018, Vol. 19, Issue 1, pp. 81-87. DOI: 10.1080/15389588.2017.1341630
- Pour, AT.; Moridpour, S.; Tay, R.; Rajabifard, A. INFLUENCING FACTORS ON VEHICLE-PEDESTRIAN CRASH SEVERITY OF SCHOOL-AGED PEDESTRIANS. WIT Transactions on the Built Environment. WIT PRESS. 2018, Vol. 176, pp. 465-475. DOI: 10.2495/UT170401
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile