Professor Andrew Western
- Catchment Hydrology
- Catchment water quality
- Groundwater Hydrology
Professor Andrew Western has more than twenty-five years experience in catchment and waterway research, teaching and consulting. He has worked as a researcher for the Centre for Environmental Applied Hydrology, Technical University of Vienna, The CRC for Catchment Hydrology and eWater CRC. He is now the deputy Head of Department of Infrastructure Engineering at the University of Melbourne. He completed his PhD over the period 1991-1994 on hydraulic and hydrologic modelling to support environmental flow management in the Wimmera River. Prof Western has expertise in field experimentation, physically-based and conceptual catchment and river modelling, catchment analysis and remote sensing and has concentrated on integrating these areas to support catchment system understanding and management. He has undertaken major field programs in Australia and New Zealand investigating catchment behaviour and has made leading contributions to spatial analysis in hydrology, particularly in the area of spatial soil moisture variability, patterns and processes.
A range of active collaborations with industry allow Prof Western to maintain the industry relevance of his work. These include projects concentrating on estuarine management, groundwater resources, catchment monitoring, water resources management and, through eWater CRC, catchment and stream water quality. He has contributed to development of the a variety of catchment and water models, models of salinity stratification in inland rivers and is currently working on water quality, groundwater analytics, flood modelling, and understand and predicting the impacts of prolonged drought and climate change on catchment response. In addition to his research and consulting work, Prof Western teaches surface hydrology, earth processes and environmental modelling and supervises a number of PhD students.
You can find his publications on my ResearcherID page: www.researcherid.com/rid/G-1730-2011.
- Guo, D.; Lintern, A.; Webb, JA.; Ryu, D.; Liu, S.; Bende-michl, U.; Leahy, P.; Wilson, P.; Western, AW. Key Factors Affecting Temporal Variability in Stream Water Quality. Water Resources Research. AMER GEOPHYSICAL UNION. 2019, Vol. 55, Issue 1, pp. 112-129. DOI: 10.1029/2018WR023370
- Lu, Z.; Wei, Y.; Feng, Q.; Western, AW.; Zhou, S. A framework for incorporating social processes in hydrological models. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2018, Vol. 33, pp. 42-50. DOI: 10.1016/j.cosust.2018.04.011
- Western, AW.; Dassanayake, KB.; Perera, KC.; Argent, RM.; Alves, O.; Young, G.; Ryu, D. An evaluation of a methodology for seasonal soil water forecasting for Australian dry land cropping systems. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology. ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV. 2018, Vol. 253, pp. 161-175. DOI: 10.1016/j.agrformet.2018.02.012
- Liu, S.; Ryu, D.; Webb, JA.; Lintern, A.; Waters, D.; Guo, D.; Western, AW. Characterisation of spatial variability in water quality in the Great Barrier Reef catchments using multivariate statistical analysis. Marine Pollution Bulletin. PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD. 2018, Vol. 137, pp. 137-151. DOI: 10.1016/j.marpolbul.2018.10.019
- Fowler, K.; Peel, M.; Western, A.; Zhang, L. Improved Rainfall-Runoff Calibration for Drying Climate: Choice of Objective Function. Water Resources Research. AMER GEOPHYSICAL UNION. 2018, Vol. 54, Issue 5, pp. 3392-3408. DOI: 10.1029/2017WR022466
- Guo, D.; Lintern, A.; Webb, JA.; Ryu, D.; Liu, S.; Western, AW. Integrated modelling of spatio-temporal variability in stream water quality across victorian catchments. 2018 Hydrology and Water Resources Symposium, HWRS 2018: Water and Communities. 2018, pp. 284-297.
- Lintern, A.; Webb, JA.; Ryu, D.; Liu, S.; Bende-michl, U.; Waters, D.; Leahy, P.; Wilson, P.; Western, AW. Key factors influencing differences in stream water quality across space. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Water. WILEY. 2018, Vol. 5, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1002/wat2.1260
- Mohan, C.; Western, AW.; Wei, Y.; Saft, M. Predicting groundwater recharge for varying land cover and climate conditions - a global meta-study. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences. COPERNICUS GESELLSCHAFT MBH. 2018, Vol. 22, Issue 5, pp. 2689-2703. DOI: 10.5194/hess-22-2689-2018
- Fowler, K.; Coxon, G.; Freer, J.; Peel, M.; Wagener, T.; Western, A.; Woods, R.; Zhang, L. Simulating Runoff Under Changing Climatic Conditions: A Framework for Model Improvement. Water Resources Research. AMER GEOPHYSICAL UNION. 2018, Vol. 54, Issue 12, pp. 9812-9832. DOI: 10.1029/2018WR023989
- Peterson, TJ.; Western, AW. Statistical Interpolation of Groundwater Hydrographs. Water Resources Research. AMER GEOPHYSICAL UNION. 2018, Vol. 54, Issue 7, pp. 4663-4680. DOI: 10.1029/2017WR021838
- Peterson, TJ.; Western, AW.; Cheng, X. The good, the bad and the outliers: automated detection of errors and outliers from groundwater hydrographs. Hydrogeology Journal. SPRINGER. 2018, Vol. 26, Issue 2, pp. 371-380. DOI: 10.1007/s10040-017-1660-7
- Western, AW.; Taylor, N.; Langford, J.; Azmi, M. The value of water in storage: Implications for operational policies. 2018 Hydrology and Water Resources Symposium, HWRS 2018: Water and Communities. 2018, pp. 915-929.
- Wei, Y.; Ison, R.; Western, AW.; Lu, Z. Understanding ourselves and the environment in which we live. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2018, Vol. 33, pp. 161-166. DOI: 10.1016/j.cosust.2018.06.002
- Lintern, A.; Webb, J.; Ryu, .; Liu, S.; Bende-michl, U.; Watson, M.; Waters, D.; Leahy, P.; Wilson, P.; Western, A. Understanding the spatial variability in catchment dynamics: a case study of 107 stream catchments in Victoria. . The Modelling and Simulation Society of Australia and New Zealand. 2018.
- Lintern, A.; Webb, JA.; Ryu, D.; Liu, S.; Waters, D.; Leahy, P.; Bende-michl, U.; Western, AW. What Are the Key Catchment Characteristics Affecting Spatial Differences in Riverine Water Quality?. Water Resources Research. AMER GEOPHYSICAL UNION. 2018, Vol. 54, Issue 10, pp. 7252-7272. DOI: 10.1029/2017WR022172
- Wang, C.; Shi, G.; Wei, Y.; Western, AW.; Zheng, H.; Zhao, Y. Balancing Rural Household Livelihood and Regional Ecological Footprint in Water Source Areas of the South-to-North Water Diversion Project. Sustainability. MDPI AG. 2017, Vol. 9, Issue 8. DOI: 10.3390/su9081393
- Wei, J.; Wei, Y.; Western, A. Evolution of the societal value of water resources for economic development versus environmental sustainability in Australia from 1843 to 2011. Global Environmental Change. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2017, Vol. 42, pp. 82-92. DOI: 10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2016.12.005
- Liu, S.; Ryu, D.; Western, A.; Webb, JA.; Lintern, A.; Waters, D.; Thomson, B. Modelling the impact of land use and catchment characteristics on stream water quality using a Bayesian hierarchical modelling approach in the Great Barrier Reef catchments. . Modelling and Simulation Society of Australia and New Zealand Inc.. 2017, pp. 1948-1954.
- Su, C-H.; Peterson, TJ.; Costelloe, JF.; Western, AW. A synthetic study to evaluate the utility of hydrological signatures for calibrating a base flow separation filter. Water Resources Research. AMER GEOPHYSICAL UNION. 2016, Vol. 52, Issue 8, pp. 6526-6540. DOI: 10.1002/2015WR018177
- Saft, M.; Peel, MC.; Western, AW.; Perraud, J-M.; Zhang, L. Bias in streamflow projections due to climate-induced shifts in catchment response. Geophysical Research Letters. AMER GEOPHYSICAL UNION. 2016, Vol. 43, Issue 4, pp. 1574-1581. DOI: 10.1002/2015GL067326
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile